• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should women go to war?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mailman
    Im sure you have it around the other way Dave. The americans like to fly low and fast while the poms fly high and fast because if they lose a helo and some civilians end up getting killed the Pilot in Command will get charged with their murder.

Mailman

Nope, definately not. The Brits are the low level flying experts and the yanks are changing tactics to match.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
      I understand that - most of the existing SAM technology is known and has specific counter-measures.
      Its not so easy for helicopters: missile can be shot very closely to it and no time to use counter-measures unless you do them all the time, which was often done during take off and landing, but you can't do it full time.

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
      Trusting anti SAM technology or praying the RPG launcher isn't that good
      I think the answer is in change of tactics after a cargo plane was shot down with SAMs: after that pilots were ordered to fly low as risks of doing so were judged to be much less than pretty certain death from SAM many of which disappeared and certainly in hands of the enemy.

So as I said, with SAM its the pilot who needs to be lucky, but with RPG its the shooter - the balance was changed, which is why helicopters don't get shot down every day.

Comment

Working...
      X