• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The left-field threat to Europe ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look: all other things being equal, inflation erodes debt.

If there are additional factors such as:

- Nobody having a job anymore
    - Real-term incomes falling

then the ability to service debt is reduced. But the debt is still eroded by inflation because in real terms it is worth less. It just doesn't help those with debts.

Comment

FFS we're talking macro-economics and fiscal and monetary policy here, not how Mr. Bloggs is going to pay his mortgage.
      Personally I think fook Mr. Bloggs for borrowing too much.

You idiots need to do some reading of economic history before exposing your ignorance on here.
      Inflation is the UK's official government policy, behind the scenes,, as has happened before.

Go and do your own fooking research and education, I don't have time to drum it into your thick bonces.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I'll try to be succint: since debt is fixed in nominal terms, inflation erodes its real value.
        If your measure of inflation is negative then the debt increases in value. For many people this is the case with the value of their debt compared to their wages, which is more relevant to most people than the RPI as credit card companies generally don't accept "baskets of goods" as payment. If they did, we could post them all the left over Christmas food in a hamper.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          But the debt is still eroded by inflation
          When food prices double in a space of a few years why should that somehow erode credit card debts or mortgages?

Debt is only eroded is there is more money - increased purchasing ability via higher salaries OR drop in currency so local assets become cheaper to foreigners who hold real currencies.

Inflation in UK right now just erodes living standards and makes debt even more expensive because people have to use "payday" companies that advertise 2100% APR on TVs.

Comment

Personally I think fook Mr. Bloggs for borrowing too much.
            In this case why BoE keeps rates at 0.5%?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              When people like sasguru get to run the countries it is no suprise then run them into the ground..
              You want to see a country run into the ground? Go to to Greece, Portugal or Spain.

HTH, BIDI because you're a first rate idiot.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

... I don't have time to drum it into your thick bonces.
                Why do you keep posting then?

Comment

In this case why BoE keeps rates at 0.5%?
                  Now I know for sure you're a moron.

I'm not wasting my time here any more, my 2 year old shows more understanding of logical thought and intelligence than you.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Countries get run into the ground when politicians pander to their own section of the electorate by spending more money than the taxpayer can raise on projects and schemes that get them re-elected. Things like massive growth of the public sector. Structural government deficit also undermines democracy because it shifts the costs onto a future generation who haven't been able to vote on taking on the costs of borrowing of earlier governments.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When food prices double in a space of a few years why should that somehow erode credit card debts or mortgages?
                      It erodes the value of the debt when measured in food. So sasguru is right as long as we make sandwiches the fundamental unit of value measurement.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X