• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good old chip and pin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good old chip and pin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4980190.stm

It's the very device that's meant to make things more secure that's been used for the fraud. Makes me laugh.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Safety in numbers.

Well, works for asylum seekers.

Comment

Chip and Pin is still far more secure than what you backwards bastards had before!

Mind you, nothing is going to stop a determined criminal is it!

Mailman

Comment

It's bound to be insecure. Mainly because someone looks over your shoulder, clocks you one and runs off with your card. By the time you've called the fuzz and the card company your account has been jackpotted.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

They gave up on Chip and PIN in Denmark as it takes the machines about 20 seconds longer to do a transaction, which slows the tills down too much.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Maybe the Danes should take a day trip to sunny Belgie, as one of the newagents I sometimes buy my fags and paper in - I say sometimes cause it's nearly €4 a pop for the Times - seems to have a new machine where I can pay with a debit card/pin in all of two secs.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              They gave up on Chip and PIN in Denmark as it takes the machines about 20 seconds longer to do a transaction, which slows the tills down too much.
              Really? I was using Chip & PIN all over South Jutland last week, and that area is arguably more backward than Sjaelland.
              "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Presumably they still have the EMV acquiring rules though so the risk is more firmly placed on the retailer.

The main reason for the slowness will be because EMV calls for positive authorisation of all transaction, so it need to go on line all the time rather than just for things which are out of profile. I fail to see how going back to signature will have improved things unless the daes are particularly slow at entering a number or they have gone back to the pre EMV rule set.

Terminal design is also a major consideration in the UK. The resolution of instore security cameras is quite afequate to pick out the digits you enter for a pin when you are entering one. Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  Maybe the Danes should take a day trip to sunny Belgie, as one of the newagents I sometimes buy my fags and paper in - I say sometimes cause it's nearly €4 a pop for the Times - seems to have a new machine where I can pay with a debit card/pin in all of two secs.
                  Originally posted by Swamp Thing
                  Really? I was using Chip & PIN all over South Jutland last week, and that area is arguably more backward than Sjaelland.
                  Are you sure you don't mean Swipe and PIN? The cards have a chip in them but it is not used. The Chip hole being taped over and people just swiping.

I do know of a petrol station that uses the chip, but you have to hand the card over and they use a non-standard reader. IIRC they're a Shell.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

No, definitely no taping over chips, or swiping. Card was pushed into machine, and then PIN entered. I used it at e.g. Fakta, Innovation, Matas. You can see I had a really exciting weekend
                    "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X