• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will Clarke Become Blair's Geoffrey Howe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed they don't compare. What made Howe's attack so savage was that he had always been a very placid and loyal Thatcherite. When such a docile person lays into the leader, it makes an impact.

To underline his perceived docility, somone once likened being attacked by Geoffrey Howe to being savaged by a dead sheep.

What I find suspicious is that so many scandals have peaked just before the local elections when they would have maximum impact. It's as if someone was out to topple Blair well ahead of the main election when it really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
      What I find suspicious is that so many scandals have peaked just before the local elections when they would have maximum impact. It's as if someone was out to topple Blair well ahead of the main election when it really matters.
      Yes, the Mirror story on Prescott was a prime example - Alcoholic Campbell would never have done that to bury news or sleight-of-hand the Clarke crisis.

I think it might be the Brownites...

Talking of the spin-meister...

It has emerged that spin doctor Alastair Campbell charged the Labour Party £10,000 per month plus VAT for his work on the general election campaign.

The remuneration for the former Downing Street communications director's services were revealed by the Electoral Commission watchdog on Monday amid increasing questions over the expenses of political parties.

It had been thought that he had been working for the party free of charge.

And the level of spending on his advice will raise eyebrows in Westminster and further questions over Labour's finances among left-wingers, who complained last week that the party had paid a £7,000 campaign hairdressing bill for Cherie Blair.
      Campbell's bill was, pro rata, equivalent to his £120,000 government salary at the time of his resignation in September 2003.

The arch-loyalist and architect of the New Labour project has remained an occasional adviser but was brought back in full time to Labour HQ in the run-up to polling day last year and was considered responsible for the strategy of uniting Blair and chancellor Gordon Brown.

The expense details also revealed that Labour spent £530,000 on polling advice from US expert Mark Penn during the campaign.

The money for the former adviser to Democrat president Bill Clinton came on top of £140,000 given to Tony Blair's personal pollster Lord Gould.

The Conservatives spent £441,000 on controversial Australian adviser Lynton Crosby, who guided Michael Howard's 'dog whistle' strategy and hardline campaign message.

Following the revelations over Mrs Blair's hairdressing bill, it was also revealed that the Tories spent £3,600 on make-up for Howard in the campaign.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

ltd company?

one wonders what his IR35 status was? Sounds like a real Friday to Monday situation to me.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
          To underline his perceived docility, somone once likened being attacked by Geoffrey Howe to being savaged by a dead sheep.
          Dennis Healey

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Well, here is what Mr Clarke said:

""I do not think it would be appropriate to remain in Government in these circumstances and so I shall return to the backbenches where I will be a strong and active supporter of this Government and the leadership of Tony Blair for his full Parliamentary term.""
            Yes Minister speak for he's out to get Blair?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
              Yes Minister speak for he's out to get Blair?
              Possible, this reminds me to watch it again

Comment

Working...
              X