• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    10p/bar does sound cheap.
    The bars are a tad smaller than standard snickers, but the way some choccy bars are shrinking so they don't have to put up the price too much they may be equal soon.

They do a non-peanut one too which I tried thinking it an alternative to Mars bars, but it's not as good.

All taste better after a stint in the fridge to firm them up.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      It depends on the context of what exactly is being inflated. In context of retail prices inflation means increase in said prices.
      This is just more brainwashing from the discredited "establishment" of mainstream economics. The idea that firstly you can accurately measure some kind of average of "prices" in the economy, given the rapid changes in the nature of goods that are actually purchased, and secondly that this inaccurate statistic is actually useful for taking any kind of macro-economic decisions, is one of the great intellectual misadventures of the present time. In the decade leading up to 2008, the thought leaders of economics and politics continuously proclaimed that "inflation" was low and under control and that therefore the "economy" was running smoothly and there was nothing to worry about, and the rapidly expanding asset and credit bubbles could safely be ignored. How did that one turn out?

Normally majority of people would associate inflation with prices, if you are interested in the the expansion of the early universe, see Inflation (cosmology)..
      The "majority of people" also believe they are more intelligent than the average person.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        This is just more brainwashing from the discredited "establishment" of mainstream economics.
        Which part of "inflation is positive increase in prices over period of time" your peanut sized brain can't get? Prices on same stuff go up compared to previous period then it's inflation, if they do down then it's deflation.

If you can't get this simple stuff then you are 2 steps below ministrone in evolutionary ladder, which is telling since his place is right behind the stone age man.

Comment

Which part of "inflation is positive increase in prices over period of time" your peanut sized brain can't get? Prices on same stuff go up compared to previous period then it's inflation, if they do down then it's deflation.
          Nope. Reiterating the same incorrect statements again doesn't make them any less wrong.

If you can't get this simple stuff then you are 2 steps below ministrone in evolutionary ladder, which is telling since his place is right behind the stone age man.
          Any other "simple stuff" you think is correct that you would like to explain? Perhaps you think the earth is flat, or that the banking system is perfectly safe, or that the eurozone cannot fail?
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Any other "simple stuff" you think is correct that you would like to explain?
            Check the news and see how many of the articles refer to "your" kind of inflation and how many to what most people normally associated it with, ie prices:

inflation - Google Search

Comment

Tosh.

Inflation is an expansion in the supply of money and credit.

Nothing to do with prices or wages.
              Agree. Inflation is the growth of money, although not many want to believe it for some reason.

The rise in prices of goods is a secondary effect of more money in circulation.

The shopping basket idea of inflation was bought about by tabloids of the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                Agree. Inflation is the growth of money, although not many want to believe it for some reason.
                I am not buying you beer anymore

Comment

I am not buying you beer anymore
                  I think it's my round next time anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    I think it's my round next time anyhow.
                    Two rounds

Comment

I bought a multipack of Snickers from my local garage a month or so ago for a quid and was pleased to see the deal still existed. Not so happy when I opened the pack and found it only had 3 bars.

Inflation is everywhere and we're told it's to ward off deflation. Just doublespeak.

Comment

Working...
                      X