• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

better off in the public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way that the pension used to work was that for each year you worked you would accrue 1/60th so if you worked for 40 years you would have 40/60th's (2/3rd's) of your final salary to retire on. So if you had a decent job toward the end of your civil service career you were laughing.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      The way that the pension used to work was that for each year you worked you would accrue 1/60th so if you worked for 40 years you would have 40/60th's (2/3rd's) of your final salary to retire on. So if you had a decent job toward the end of your civil service career you were laughing.
      This has not been the case for sometime now so your point is moot
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        This has not been the case for sometime now so your point is moot
        Not in CH it's not, this is from personal experience and does not relate to all government departments. I still have a very many friends there and it's only of late that things are starting to change
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

For the NHS, atleast, it still works like this, except that it is on 'reckonable' pay, rather than final salary, which is unlikely to be much different.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            For the NHS, atleast, it still works like this, except that it is on 'reckonable' pay, rather than final salary, which is unlikely to be much different.
            Do they contribute a higher percentage of their pay towards their pension, I recall that the Police pay a minimum of 10%.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Do they contribute a higher percentage of their pay towards their pension, I recall that the Police pay a minimum of 10%.
              No I think it's 6.5% or something, but I'm not completely up to date. Isn't the police retirement age much lower, though? I don't know how the Hutton recommendations are going to change things.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

anyone get the impression that simonmac is a public service sockie (probably a teacher )

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  No I think it's 6.5% or something, but I'm not completely up to date. Isn't the police retirement age much lower, though? I don't know how the Hutton recommendations are going to change things.
                  Yeah 20 years Service gets you 2/3rd's and 30 years gets you a full pension if I recall though that may have been subject to change as I have a friend who's in the police force and he told me many of the forces had put their pension pots with the Icelandic banks and we all know how that turned out.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

When I was in the Civil Service ('79-'94) it was 80ths per year up to a maximum of half salary. I know people in certain professions got 60ths, but that was 'shorter career' stuff like fire service and police. Also, the maximum when I was there was half salary so you couldn't get more than 30/60 or 40/80 regardless of how long your service was. This was also topped off nicely with a lump sum of 3x annual pension on retirement right enough.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I joined in 2001 and left in 2008, I remember thinking at the time how good the pension was to be able to have up to 2/3rd's of your annual income to retire on. But now I've been in the real world for a couple of years I can see that given on how much they actually contribute it's unsustainable. It's basic maths really
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X