• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train eviction video: 'Big Man' is charged

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, time to show your support for the big man...

Save the Big Man

World's Best Martini

Comment

I think you should just be allowed to give people you don't agree with a good right hander. That would sort out the world.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If that is how they handle fare dodgers then it's hardly surprising people take the piss as they must be a laughing stock. The ticket inspector is completely ineffective, he's done nothing of consequence and relied on a member of the public to do his job for him.

One might consider the kid a "chav" trying it on, on the other hand we might have a potentially vulnerable young person who hasn't actually done anything wrong and has now been left alone on a train platform at night after being manhandled by a complete stranger. I wouldn't be at all surprised, given how opaque the ticket pricing system can be and the number of times I've been given something different than I asked for "because it's cheaper" , if it did turn out that the kid had paid and been given the wrong tickets.

From the metro, a bit of the other side of the story:

‘I had two singles but they were both for Polmont to Edinburgh. I thought I’d be able to explain what happened to the conductor but he just said “Off!”’
        The teenager's father Lennie Main, added: ‘This big guy has basically thrown him on to the platform. Sam’s landed on his face, and has a big graze.
        ‘He’s tried to get back in the carriage to get his bag.
        ‘He’s diabetic and all his things were in that bag – his medication, his university notes, his money, his mobile phone and his iPod. This man had no right to do what he did. If I was him, I’d expect to be charged.’
        Last edited by doodab; 22 December 2011, 11:13.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Lets hear the other side of the story:

Looks like the guy did pay for his ticket, but the ticket office screwed up.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

It is up to the conductor to handle it. The kid's point is that he was sold 2 outward tickets - I saw a letter to the DT suggesting this is a frequent occurence.

Comment

It´s also quite disgraceful that the conductor helped in the assault, hopefully he´ll get disciplined as well. I have also been on the wrong end of a conductor having bought a valid ticket and it is incredibly difficult to hold your temper, especially after a long day and you´re tired. The date was printed really badly on the ticket, faded. The guy was just incredibly rude, and it is very difficult to justify yourself. In the end he conceded when another passenger suggested the machines were notoriously crap, but he didn´t apologise, he just muttered I should see a psychiatrist to deal with my temper.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 December 2011, 11:30.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Looks like a classic case of rail company customer service delivered by petty jobsworths under the presumption that passengers are basically criminals.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Wow.

I can't believe any of you support the ticket inspector or "the big man" in this.

The ticket inspector looked like he decided instantly the kid was lying and gave him no chance to explain and no quarter.

Then the big idiot steps in.

I hope the inspector is fired and the idiot gets a custodial sentence (of course he wont)

Comment

Have to say i'm generally all for these cheeky scrotes that seem to be all over the place these days getting a slap to keep them in line.

BUT, in this instance, dunno, have watched the vid a few times and dont see the lad being overly aggresive (the conductor seems more so) and looking at his face afterwards seems he was lobbed face first onto the platform when he tries to explain his bag is still on his seat and he needs to get it.

So lamping chavs is ok in 99% of cases but not convinced it was warranted here.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                      Wow.

I can't believe any of you support the ticket inspector or "the big man" in this.

The ticket inspector looked like he decided instantly the kid was lying and gave him no chance to explain and no quarter.

Then the big idiot steps in.

I hope the inspector is fired and the idiot gets a custodial sentence (of course he wont)
                      Agree.

I have had great arguments with rail staff over legitamately bought tickets, which dependant upon which inspector you got was either valid or invalid. I could even prove that I could buy the same ticket online via the ticket database they all use there and then. One even told me to get my money back for all the duplicate tickets bought previously immediately at the destination station. Others have forced me to buy another ticket there and then or be removed from the train.

It's almost as if the rail companies encourage ambiguity in their ticket sales.

And as for the dogooder - he should be bought before a court and appropraite sentence given, who TF is he to take this action on a young lad.

Comment

Working...
                      X