• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the economic types

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If I start a contract in Denmark in February and must choose now between payment in Euros or Danish Kroner, what do you advise?
    What a coincidence! I am just negotiating a rate for a contractor to work in Copenhagen as I write - he is Dutch.
    As for your question I would suggest kroners though I am having to deal in euros
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Swiss Francs.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        What a coincidence! I am just negotiating a rate for a contractor to work in Copenhagen as I write - he is Dutch.
        As for your question I would suggest kroners though I am having to deal in euros
        Yep, leaning toward Kroner myself. Suggesting the agent does the same.
        PS, why are they wanting to pay you Euros? Surely you can set up a local bank account and get paid in local currency?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Swiss Francs.
          If only this luxury option was available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            My house and woman are in Euroland, but client will be in Denmark and I'll be sleeping with Miss Denmark during the week.
            Miss Denmark Prepares For Miss Universe 2011 - YouTube

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Scenario 1: the PIIGS fall out of the Euro, Euro strengthens
              Scenario 2: the Euro continues its crisis-ridden state, Euro declines but very long term
              Scenario 3: Euro falls apart completely

1 and 2 are more likely.

Hedge your bets is what I would do: Create a Euro account in Germany and stash half your funds there, the rest in Kroner.
              If 3 occurs, your Euro account in Germany will become a Deutche Mark account, I'm guessing
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Scenario 2: the Euro continues its crisis-ridden state, Euro declines but very long term

1 and 2 are more likely.

Hedge your bets is what I would do: Create a Euro account in Germany and stash half your funds there, the rest in Kroner.
                If 3 occurs, your Euro account in Germany will become a Deutche Mark account, I'm guessing
                Wow, sensible stuff for once. I guess I can also just use the ATM each week in Baconland and stick a load of kroner in a local account each week, then hope the collapse doesn't happen. Already have German account.
                Last edited by Mich the Tester; 21 December 2011, 13:05.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

1 and 2 are more likely.

+1

although I'm concerned of Scenario 4

Germany realise the best thing to do is to get out of the euro and leaves everyone else to it. But as you say you can offset that by keeping your euro account in a German bank (probably attached to a german forwarding address for safe measure).
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Scenario 5. All of Europe join the pound and all us sensible people earning pounds become staggeringly rich and attractive to Euro ladies.

Comment

So hedging by converting 50% to euros in a german bank, and keeping 50% in kroner in danish bank.

Might be sensible regardless of what happens to stick more in the German account.

Comment

Working...
                      X