• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is too much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my workstation has a whole 2GB of memory (runs Ubuntu) but I don't really use it that heavy. My other interactive sessions of which I have a load each have 4mb of storage (but I can run a lot of stuff in virtual storage using more than 32GB if I require) which is sufficient and those systems have storage ranging from 10GB up to over 200GB
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

I'm struggling with "only" 16GB of RAM here. How much do you have in your primary workstation?
      As much as I can; but many motherboards support only up to about 16 GB, and I think Windows 7 has an upper limit too.

What is the threshold these days before memory refresh cycles start dragging down CPU performance?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

32 bit Windows 7 Max = 4Gb
        64 bit Windows 7 Max = 8Gb-192Gb depending on version.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

16GB here and fine. Don't play many games though - probably need more if I did. Fine for watching movies.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            More than 640k is greedy.

Apollo 11 only needed 3 bits of RAM!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Laptop is current running with 8Gb and its fine. Desktop is running 3Gb but that doesnt get used that much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Apollo 11 only needed 3 bits of RAM!
                True but it did crash
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  True but it did crash
                  Indeed: http://apollo11.spacelog.org/04:06:4...og-line-369737

Comment

Working...