• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much is too much"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    True but it did crash
    Indeed: http://apollo11.spacelog.org/04:06:4...og-line-369737

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Apollo 11 only needed 3 bits of RAM!
    True but it did crash

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Laptop is current running with 8Gb and its fine. Desktop is running 3Gb but that doesnt get used that much.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    More than 640k is greedy.

Apollo 11 only needed 3 bits of RAM!

Leave a comment:

• Stella
    replied
    16GB here and fine. Don't play many games though - probably need more if I did. Fine for watching movies.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    32 bit Windows 7 Max = 4Gb
    64 bit Windows 7 Max = 8Gb-192Gb depending on version.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post

I'm struggling with "only" 16GB of RAM here. How much do you have in your primary workstation?
    As much as I can; but many motherboards support only up to about 16 GB, and I think Windows 7 has an upper limit too.

What is the threshold these days before memory refresh cycles start dragging down CPU performance?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well my workstation has a whole 2GB of memory (runs Ubuntu) but I don't really use it that heavy. My other interactive sessions of which I have a load each have 4mb of storage (but I can run a lot of stuff in virtual storage using more than 32GB if I require) which is sufficient and those systems have storage ranging from 10GB up to over 200GB

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Specifically in General?
    Of course. This is the last place for that sort of discussion.

Back to the

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Let's not get into gigabytes and gibibytes in General shall we?
    Specifically in General?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    You have 8192MB so thats > than 8GB.
    Let's not get into gigabytes and gibibytes in General shall we?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Bit of a poll fail, dd, what option do I choose if I have exactly 8??

What the flip are you running anyway to have issues with 16Gb?
    You have 8192MB so thats > than 8GB.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Do both your VM's need all the RAM all the time? I thought the host should be able to dynamically allocate RAM as and when it was required
    Yes, pretty much, as they are 2 parts of the same system so a request propagates via the 6GB one to the 8GB one then back through the 6GB one and finally to the client, so RAM allocation moving back and forth means it takes a while to do anything, and it's not exactly speedy anyway.

It's total bloatware.Not my doing I'd like to add.

I think I'm going to have to split the work over a couple of machines. I'll shift one of the VMs on to my laptop.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I'm running VMWare with 1 VM that needs about 8GB and another that needs 6, plus web browser clients on the local machine. Time for an upgrade, those 8GB DIMMS are < £100 now. Only problem is I need a new CPU and motherboard as well.
    So effectively you have 1 machine with 8GB, 1 with 6GB and another with 2GB

Do both your VM's need all the RAM all the time? I thought the host should be able to dynamically allocate RAM as and when it was required

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Bit of a poll fail, dd, what option do I choose if I have exactly 8??

What the flip are you running anyway to have issues with 16Gb?
    Ooh, good spot on the overlap there.

I'm running VMWare with 1 VM that needs about 8GB and another that needs 6, plus web browser clients on the local machine. Time for an upgrade, those 8GB DIMMS are < £100 now. Only problem is I need a new CPU and motherboard as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X