• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

breakdown cover for electrical items

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Waste of money like boiler cover.
    I'm with Dim on this one, stick your £20 a week in the bank when it breaks down use the money to pay for it to be repaired.

John lewis offer 5 years as standard on TVs that why i go to JL

A friend of ours had a washing machine and took out the optional insurance extended warranty cover and after a couple of years it broke down and they tried to repair but she had to have a new one but they would only pay an amount less the depreciation amount, when she worked out what she had paid over the 2 years she could have purchased 3 new washing machines

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
      I'm with Dim on this one, stick your £20 a week in the bank when it breaks down use the money to pay for it to be repaired.

John lewis offer 5 years as standard on TVs that why i go to JL

A friend of ours had a washing machine and took out the optional insurance extended warranty cover and after a couple of years it broke down and they tried to repair but she had to have a new one but they would only pay an amount less the depreciation amount, when she worked out what she had paid over the 2 years she could have purchased 3 new washing machines
      It's something like £18 / month, not per week! And it's the stress free option - no matter what time or what the problem, BG will send an engineer within 24 hours. Parts & labour. Better for the BTLs I suppose, seeing as it's a tax deductible expense and means I don't need to run about finding dodgy plumbers.

And I'm not talking about "extended warranties" that your average PC world or Currys numpty tries to sell.

For example, I got a quote from warrantydirect earlier today and it was £38/month to cover 9 items. My 9 were 2 fridge/freezers (one US style), my Onkyo amp, HD camcorder, washing machine, dryer, built in coffee machine (£1200 Bosch one), plasma, PS3. Just an example, but you can pretty much chuck in any home appliance/item in there.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Try Homeserve.
        I had a Homserve policy. An awful company with awful customer "service" imo.

After some shoddy work from them I cancelled the policy and it took them 7 months for them to call me up to see why I was was cancelling and what they could do to make it up to me...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          It's something like £18 / month, not per week! And it's the stress free option - no matter what time or what the problem, BG will send an engineer within 24 hours. Parts & labour. Better for the BTLs I suppose, seeing as it's a tax deductible expense and means I don't need to run about finding dodgy plumbers.
          You are suppose to make friends with your local tradespeople so when you need them they come out quickly.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          For example, I got a quote from warrantydirect earlier today and it was £38/month to cover 9 items. My 9 were 2 fridge/freezers (one US style), my Onkyo amp, HD camcorder, washing machine, dryer, built in coffee machine (£1200 Bosch one), plasma, PS3. Just an example, but you can pretty much chuck in any home appliance/item in there.
          You do know most applicances break down when they are under warranty if they are going to break down?

If they breakdown just outside the warranty you can successfully push to get it fixed if you stand your ground. (I've done that.)

After that they take about 3-4 years to break down if they are going to, and as already stated you are better off putting money into a savings account to get a spanking new one.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X