• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro hits new low as Italian bond rates spike past 7%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The key here is Italy, if Italy gets it's budget under control the Eurozone exits the crisis, and Italy doesn't have a particularly big problem. Still needs the political will of course but unlike Greece which is bankrupt Italy just needs to tighten its belt. 2013 it will have blown over.
    Back in November you were predicting: Never mind. It will probably blow over during the next few weeks.

Comment

It would be completely pointless for Greece to do a messy exit.
      An Exit would allow them to print Drachmas and have an exit. Without that option where do the next set of Euros come from to pay January's pensions.

The phrase I used to think you were clever.... comes to mind.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        It seems to be on the mend doesn't it:

BBC News - Spain sees strong demand in latest bond auction
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          An Exit would allow them to print Drachmas and have an exit. Without that option where do the next set of Euros come from to pay January's pensions.

The phrase I used to think you were clever.... comes to mind.
          What use is it printing Drachmas when inflation goes through the roof. The currency would collapse and people would end up bartering.

You should take a look at Argentina.

If it was that simple why don't they do it? No-one is stopping them. The only country that started printing money as you suggest was Zimbabwe.

You can only do so much quantative easing, if you overdo it it becomes counter productive. In other words you use other mechanisms to reduce the money supply to compensate. Greece wouldn't have sufficient leeway.

I mean if it was so simple you wouldn't need the IMF or financial aid, would you, you could just jack open the printing presses.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 December 2011, 17:09.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

What use is it printing Drachmas when inflation goes through the roof. The currency would collapse and people would end up bartering.

You should take a look at Argentina.

If it was that simple why don't they do it? No-one is stopping them. The only country that started printing money as you suggest was Zimbabwe.

You can only do so much quantative easing, if you overdo it it becomes counter productive. In other words you use other mechanisms to reduce the money supply to compensate. Greece wouldn't have sufficient leeway.

The phrase "I always thought you were as thick as pigsh*t" springs to mind.
            Argentina has grown rapidly since the country defaulted. The important factor being that the inefficiencies albeit painfully were cleared out and Argentina has maintained its sovereignty. We have a thing in the UK called bankruptcy which although harsh gives people a fresh chance to start again. I am afraid that this probably what Greece needs (or the UK for that matter) to teach itself that indulging in poor economic policies and poor governments is a bad thing.

Again I am astonished that you cannot see this. That your mind is incapable of reading through the logic even though we have reams of history books that have shown endless examples of how the markets ultimately control economics. What on earth makes you think that the markets can be ignored and that there is an easy way out?.

the Greeks have a choice either they pull out of the Euro, default and start all over again, or they submit their sovereignty to the Germans
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Argentina has grown rapidly since the country defaulted. The important factor being that the inefficiencies albeit painfully were cleared out and Argentina has maintained its sovereignty. We have a thing in the UK called bankruptcy which although harsh gives people a fresh chance to start again. I am afraid that this probably what Greece needs (or the UK for that matter) to teach itself that indulging in poor economic policies and poor governments is a bad thing.

Again I am astonished that you cannot see this. That your mind is incapable of reading through the logic even though we have reams of history books that have shown endless examples of how the markets ultimately control economics. What on earth makes you think that the markets can be ignored and that there is an easy way out?.

the Greeks have a choice either they pull out of the Euro, default and start all over again, or they submit their sovereignty to the Germans
              If it so obvious, why aren't the Greeks pulling out of the Euro?

After the Argentine default, poverty doubled to the extent where the majority of the population was below the poverty line. It took four years to get back to where they were. Greece has gone through it's first tough year, and it is in no way comparable to the dire situation in Argentina.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 December 2011, 17:39.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

If it so obvious, why aren't the Greeks pulling out of the Euro?
                Because there will be extreme pain in the near-term. Many people will loose everything they have.

The government that does that will always be hated even though Greek children will be better off in the long-run. People on the whole are very selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  Because there will be extreme pain in the near-term. Many people will loose everything they have.

The government that does that will always be hated even though Greek children will be better off in the long-run. People on the whole are very selfish.
                  Exactly. The incumbent political classes will be the first to be "cleared out" which is why they are hanging on. The holders of Greek debt are also clinging on because they know that a default will cost them dearly. Even this BB is not a binary situation
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                  X