• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do people blame bankers and not Euro politicians for Europe's economic mess?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So why don't you move to those economic paradises: Greece, Portugal or Spain? You'll certainly get cheap labour because everyone's unemployed.
    When I was in Corfu this summer I did not notice many unemployed people and the weather was nice.

It might be hard for your little pea sized brain to understand but I am not looking to make my business competitive by having cheap labour - that's the dead end and I am not interested in pursueing. I also prefer to stay in the city where I can work with people that I like on solving complex yet rewarding problems.

We've got plenty of customers in eurozone, it is a very important export market for us so their well being means that my business will also do well.

I guess also I am not a complete tw@t to rejoice at seeing other people having financial problems, but as an exception when wolves come to knock on your door then don't expect much sympathy from anybody.

Comment

So why don't you move to those economic paradises: Greece, Portugal or Spain? You'll certainly get cheap labour because everyone's unemployed.
      Its funny - I've noticed that of all those who are passionately for the Euro, none of them have to deal with its effects because they all live in the North.
      What hypocricy!
      Well for a start I'm not 'passionately for the Euro' and never have been. It's a fact of life that we have it so I'd prefer to see it work. Secondly, I do have to deal with its effects because it's money from taxpayers in the North that will have to sort out the troubles in the south. I'm actually quite happy for that to happen, as long as the money really is helping to get their economies up on their own feet to the point that they can grow and start paying off their debts.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        We've got plenty of customers in eurozone, it is a very important export market for us so their well being means that my business will also do well.
        I suspect there are lots of businesspeople in Britain with a similar view; there is nothing to be gained from destroying the Eurozone and everything to be gained from helping the countries that have problems to get things sorted out.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When I was in Corfu this summer I did not notice many unemployed people and the weather was nice.

It might be hard for your little pea sized brain to understand but I am not looking to make my business competitive by having cheap labour - that's the dead end and I am not interested in pursueing. I also prefer to stay in the city where I can work with people that I like on solving complex yet rewarding problems.

I guess also I am not a complete tw@t to rejoice at seeing other people having financial problems, but as an exception when wolves come to knock on your door then don't expect much sympathy from anybody.
          You have taken a few stupid pills today haven't you?
          So you went to Corfu and it was fine so that mean everything's fine and dandy in the med countries? You really are a Pooper style asinine imbecile.
          And when did I laugh at people's misfortunes - I was laughing at your exponential stupidity.
          One of the tragedies of the Euro is that it has condemned entire countries to depression style conditions for a generation.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            I suspect there are lots of businesspeople in Britain with a similar view; there is nothing to be gained from destroying the Eurozone and everything to be gained from helping the countries that have problems to get things sorted out.
            Indeed.

Only people who lack experience with real international trade (if you sell to USA you'd be selling to eurozone also) can't see the obvious.

Disappearance of euro would certainly NOT help increase sales and it could result in MASSIVE drop in exports, at least GBP is relatively weak now, thanks to strong EUR.

The end result would be that Britain will have much higher trade deficit and GBP will inevitably fall.

I don't even think USA would win anything from destruction of euro, or China - nobody apart from a couple of cretins like sasguru who have no clue where exactly the salary they get paid comes from.

Comment

So you went to Corfu and it was fine so that mean everything's fine and dandy in the med countries?
              The food was great, very cheap too including beer (no ales there but ok I can manage it a few weeks), the weather was fantastic, water very clean - parties on the beach every day, what's not to like?

They should have created an offshore at Corfu and they'd be quids in. Or should I say euros?

Comment

One of the tragedies of the Euro is that it has condemned entire countries to depression style conditions for a generation.
                That's rubbish.

You just don't know what it is to have real high inflation (2100% in 1992 that I witnessed myself), with currency not worth tulip. Without strong currency those counties would be TOTALLY f***ed with inflation in high two digits.

Some of the countries I certainly would not admit to euro without strict checks on their budgets, but in theory restrictions on budget deficit were in place, it was just your buddies from the city who helped hide real extend of problems, so now time for real checks to be put in place.

Comment

The food was great, very cheap too including beer (no ales there but ok I can manage it a few weeks), the weather was fantastic, water very clean - parties on the beach every day, what's not to like?

They should have created an offshore at Corfu and they'd be quids in. Or should I say euros?
                  My point is that the country of Greece as a whole is suffering.
                  But that obviously didn't bother you, because you're alright jack.
                  And the Euro is a good idea, it must be, even if millions must live in poverty
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

That's rubbish.

What's rubbish? 25% unemployment in Spain more like 40% fior under 25s. Worse in Greece.
                    All caused by having excessive credit due to unnaturally low interest rates for a decade.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

My point is that the country of Greece as a whole is suffering.
                      Do they suffer more than devastated industrial parts of UK thanks to policies of successive Governments who preferred easy money from the City?

Why are you so concerned about Greece, euro when you don't give a flying fook about human suffering outside of M25?

Comment

Working...
                      X