• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical PM is handing out Steve Jobs biographies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I started it, and then decided that there were significantly more books in this world that I was more interested in reading instead.

I'm sure that if you worship at the shrine of Apple, then it makes good reading. One of the main criticisms that I've read in reviews seems to be that there isn't much in there about the wilderness years between leaving Apple and returning. There's stuff about prior to leaving, and all the stuff since the return, but next to nothing about the missing years - which I think could have been an interesting part.
    A bit like the Bible then?

Edit: I haven't read either tbh

Comment

there isn't much in there about the wilderness years between leaving Apple and returning...which I think could have been an interesting part.
      So what do geeks usually do when they're benched?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        So what do geeks usually do when they're benched?
        In Steve Job's case you get involved in a film company
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          He didn't sit around in his dressing gown pot noodling then?

Comment

this gets good reviews:
            iCon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business eBook: Jeffrey S. Young, William L. Simon: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I wonder how different things would have worked out if George Lucas hadn't got divorced and needed to sell off (what eventually became) Pixar.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                ...as chrismas presents.

Very grateful, obviously. Anyone read it? Should I bother or should I just leave it on the bookshelf as a monument to geekdom?
                Re-wrap it, and give it back to him. "What a coincidence", "Great minds think alike" etc, etc.
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

One of the main criticisms that I've read in reviews seems to be that there isn't much in there about the wilderness years between leaving Apple and returning. There's stuff about prior to leaving, and all the stuff since the return, but next to nothing about the missing years - which I think could have been an interesting part.
                  Yep. Both NextStep and his venture into Hollywood with Pixar might have made good reading from the Plan B perspective.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

About 3/4 way through it. The guy was a psychopath and sociopath with severe emotional retardation and social skills of a brick.

He also managed to make Apple world beaters twice, fund Pixar and negotiate them into very good deals with Disney and make shedloads of cash and live his life on his terms. So I guess he wins.

Refusing cancer treatment and necking carrot juice instead is plain crazy though.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
                      About 3/4 way through it. The guy was a psychopath and sociopath with severe emotional retardation and social skills of a brick.

He also managed to make Apple world beaters twice, fund Pixar and negotiate them into very good deals with Disney and make shedloads of cash and live his life on his terms. So I guess he wins.

Refusing cancer treatment and necking carrot juice instead is plain crazy though.
                      So he'll teach me to treat people like tulipe, make a lot of money while doing so and then die before I get a chance to enjoy it by being too daft to get the best out of modern medicine?

I think I'll hand this present on.

Comment

Working...
                      X