• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Education, education, education

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I did agree when they proposed a standard national curriculum as I had fallen foul of the disparity of the various matriculation boards.
    The school I attended set very high standards and generally chose the hardest board as they were also the best courses.As a consequence I did not do too well at 'O' level. This had a knock on effect in that I was turned down for a number of trainee positions becaus candidates with better results were considered.
    When I finally got into a job I met one of these better candidates with straight 'A's. His final exams were at about the level we had taken at 3rd year.
    There is not that much difference between the examining boards. Just face it you were thick!
    Isn't it funny those who moan most about falling standards tend to have low levels of attainment?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      The problem with o and a levels these days is partially down to how they marked. In my day, the pass mark was set after the exam was set and a set percentage (40% i think) had to fail. This maintained the status as it meant that the bottom 40% could not get the qualification. This obviously had to be changed due to it being not 'fair'. Now we have A levels where the pass rate is 97%.
      With a (perfectly) composed exam at the correct standard, the distribution of scores ought to be a normal distribution, ranging from 0 to 100% and with a mean of 50. So you don't have to fail a set %, it will happen anyway.

So current post modern thinking has abolished the Normal distribution. An astounding achievement
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        With a (perfectly) composed exam at the correct standard, the distribution of scores ought to be a normal distribution, ranging from 0 to 100% and with a mean of 50. So you don't have to fail a set %, it will happen anyway.

So current post modern thinking has abolished the Normal distribution. An astounding achievement
        I thought you should get 4 peaks, a pair for boys and girls crossed wi' a pair for those who studied and those who didn't.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          I thought you should get 4 peaks, a pair for boys and girls crossed wi' a pair for those who studied and those who didn't.
          If you plotted the marks for the 4 different groups you might get overlapping distributions, but why would you do that?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            If you plotted the marks for the 4 different groups you might get overlapping distributions, but why would you do that?
            So the Govt can fiddle the figures and claim that Schools have had their best year ever as well as the NHS.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              The problem with o and a levels these days is partially down to how they marked. In my day, the pass mark was set after the exam was set and a set percentage (40% i think) had to fail. This maintained the status as it meant that the bottom 40% could not get the qualification. This obviously had to be changed due to it being not 'fair'. Now we have A levels where the pass rate is 97%.
              Well honestly this change I agree with, say every student gets 97% or more on the exams, hardly fair nor right to just turn around and say "well sorry old chap but because scores overall were high, even though you got 98% on your exam you still failed" Exams and grades are not meant to be a competition but rather an honest evaluation of students skills/knowledge.(word bolded because i don't think system here is honest these days)

Though English systems always confused me, always preferred the Spanish system (where did bulk of my education) which basically worked on a marks out of 10 (based off percentage).

Sit down, be told you will need X out of 10 to pass. There was it none of this A,B,C from exams plus course work crap, That reminds me of the US system (where I did part of my education) which was basically
              Turn up to majority of your class's and hand in your homework throughout the year? You passed
              Sit your exams (with detailed helpful "hints" from teachers day before of what would be asked): Probably get an "A"
              Get good score on your exams? Honors class for you next year young man

Till I went to the states was what you would call a B minus student (never had much interest in school no never really tried hard), went to the states after not being in an English speaking school for about 8 years got A+ in everything and never opened the books except night before the exam (till went to states never saw multiple choice on an exam either, where as there 95% of questions were multiple choice) and by second year they moved me Honors Class's across the board (most amusing one was English, could barely spell "Cat"..hell still a terrible speller, i would be done for without spell checker)

Comment

classes
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                  classes
                  Complain to microsoft about their spell checker

Comment

Did that really get through? There's a bug, then.... sorry, an "opportunity to pursue".
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X