• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chainsaws

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Diver's the best person to ask about power tool safety. Then do the opposite, you'll be fine.
    I miss the Lord of Ruin.

Those pictures of his hand were pretty gruesome!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I used to go with my dad when i was 13 cutting up logs for the fire and he would let me have a go, no hats no gloves no goggles propper men on a proper mens job you respected the danger and never took risks its not the fact of not wearing it, that stuff was just not availble back then and if it was no one used it

Its a bit like cars the more safety features the safer it feels to drive but it will still kill you, I am not sure i would use one now though without the kit but then Elf and safety is drummed into everyone these days shame they don't teach common sense as well

Comment

Safety equipment - boots, trousers/chaps, gloves & helmet (with ear defenders). Seriously don't even start the thing without it.

Also, spare chains, and not cheapo ones, good quality oregon.

Keep it away from the ground or you will blunt the chain in seconds.

Keep it sharp - get a chain file (well, a box of them). A sharp chain will save you much effort. Eventually you will need more than a file to sharpen it, I've got access to a chain grinder, but you can get a local place to sharpen chains for you or as someone said, could use a Dremel.

A second saw is good - I cut trees into manageable lengths then cut them up in the shelter of the barn with a smaller electric one. Big saws get tiring but I can use the electric all day.

A wedge and hammer. You will get the blade stuck one day.

A helper is a good idea - just in case, but also will handle the logs while you get on with cutting.

Al.
        Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          If you are only going to use it for log cutting then you can get a cutting horse (example METAL CHAINSAW LOG SAW HORSE WITH HOLDER)that you mount the chainsaw on so less danger of self harm.

You might want to consider hiring if only using it twice a year.
          The chainsaw is just for cutting logs 2-3 times/month and I will need something to hold the logs while cutting them and this looks like it might be just what I need.

Comment

Is Diver dead from some gruesome accident then?
            We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
            - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              If it's diamond proof I'll get one.

You never know when it might come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
                Is Diver dead from some gruesome accident then?
                Wouldn't surprise me in the least
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Well, I've really done it this time.
                  Chopping up old timbers on the big power saw on friday, and a nail in the timber caught my glove and dragged my left hand into the saw blade.

Sawed through the back of my hand. cut through the index finger bone, thumb and middle finger bones. severed the tendons for the index, middle and the next finger. nicked half through the thumb tendon and vein, and stripped the skin from the back of my hand.
                  they flew me up to Morriston hospital in Swansea to the plastic surgery unit.
                  those wonderful surgeons managed to save my hand and all my fingers.
                  they sent me home this morning because I wouldn't stay in bed anyway.
                  in plaster now up to the elbow, and will be for the next six weeks.
                  This is a snippet of what happened to Diver. There is a picture somewhere
                  This one?

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    This one?

Was Diver injured by a chain or circular saw? It sounds like the latter.

Comment

I can do without that sort of image embedded in the thread.
                      Please post links to that sort of thing. Probably marked as NSFW too.

** I am not squeamish, but would rather have the choice of whether I look or not especially in a busy office.
                      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                      X