• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chainsaws

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't buy a cheap one - you definitely get what you pay for with these. Think Stihl or similar, never had a problem with mine.

Keep the chain sharp as others have said and have it serviced like you would your car, to keep it in tip top shape. Nothing worse than digging it out after being stuck in the garage, and it doesn't start. Especially if it's an emergency situation .... like chasing the kids off down the street

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Keep the saw sharp.

Don't cut logs on your own incase you have an accident.
      Looks like I should also invest in some chaps.
      Now don't get all excited AtW, I'm not talking about the type that come and visit you in your room!

Comment

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
        I've just ordered a chainsaw which I intend to cut logs from tree trunks.
        Does anyone own one? Any tips and/or advice on using them?
        Gotta admit that a chainsaw has my upmost respect and they do fill me with a healthy fear of them.
        you've bought one and now you want advice? i've got two. two chainsaws. i suppose i could stick to two pieces of advice too. anyway, one is a huge american made petrol thing. not the advice - the chainsaw. it's heavy and a right bastard to start, keep going, lift, hold and use but when it decides to play it don't half cut things in half. changing / re-setting the chain is a pain. the other one is a german made electric thing. small & light, it always starts, ok, it a needs power cable but is very easy to use and changing / re-setting the chain is quick. cuts well though not as brutally quick as the petrol job. mind you by the time the petrol one decides to work i could have finished the job with the electric which is why i can't remember the last time i used the petrol lump.

advice?

build a log cutting platform - two solid x shaped blocks to securely hold the wood.

when the chain comes off (it will) make sure you put it back on the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          you've bought one and now you want advice? i've got two. two chainsaws. i suppose i could stick to two pieces of advice too. anyway, one is a huge american made petrol thing. not the advice - the chainsaw. it's heavy and a right bastard to start, keep going, lift, hold and use but when it decides to play it don't half cut things in half. changing / re-setting the chain is a pain. the other one is a german made electric thing. small & light, it always starts, ok, it a needs power cable but is very easy to use and changing / re-setting the chain is quick. cuts well though not as brutally quick as the petrol job. mind you by the time the petrol one decides to work i could have finished the job with the electric which is why i can't remember the last time i used the petrol lump.

advice?

build a log cutting platform - two solid x shaped blocks to securely hold the wood.

when the chain comes off (it will) make sure you put it back on the correct way.
          Do you use protective clothing, like chaps - or is that overkill for cutting logs?
          The one I bought is a German (well it's coming from Germany) petrol jobby of 45cm bar.

Comment

Do you use protective clothing, like chaps - or is that overkill for cutting logs?
            How much do you like your legs?
            chainsaws are very unforgiving.
            chaps, chainsaw boots, helmet with visor. Rule of thumb is that if your saw cost more than your personal protection equipment then you didn't buy enough ppe. google arbtalk for prof. chainsaw advice, great site.

Comment

The one I bought is a German (well it's coming from Germany) petrol jobby of 45cm bar.
              Best to be on the safe side ...

Medieval Suit of Armor - Full Size and Wearable

Comment

If you are only going to use it for log cutting then you can get a cutting horse (example METAL CHAINSAW LOG SAW HORSE WITH HOLDER)that you mount the chainsaw on so less danger of self harm.

You might want to consider hiring if only using it twice a year.
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Well, I've really done it this time.
                  Chopping up old timbers on the big power saw on friday, and a nail in the timber caught my glove and dragged my left hand into the saw blade.

Sawed through the back of my hand. cut through the index finger bone, thumb and middle finger bones. severed the tendons for the index, middle and the next finger. nicked half through the thumb tendon and vein, and stripped the skin from the back of my hand.
                  they flew me up to Morriston hospital in Swansea to the plastic surgery unit.
                  those wonderful surgeons managed to save my hand and all my fingers.
                  they sent me home this morning because I wouldn't stay in bed anyway.
                  in plaster now up to the elbow, and will be for the next six weeks.
                  This is a snippet of what happened to Diver. There is a picture somewhere

Comment

he was done in by his protective clothing

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      There was a chap on the tv using one of these the other day.

It looked quite good.
                      Have used one. Speeds up the job no end and due to having a measure your logs all come out even so easier to stack, though I do prefer chaos to conformity.
                      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                      X