• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I buy a used Porsche 911 and drive through Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid life crisis?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      Mid life crisis?

Mid Wife

Comment

Mid life crisis?
        You never had one? They're great!

Comment

IMO choice of car doesn't matter that much, but you want something reliable, ideally 4WD (assuming you are going in the winter), with a bit of room in for souvenirs, snowboards and that sort of thing. Comfort & space are key on a trip of several weeks to a few months, and a lack of flashness / preciousness is good too, unless you plan to spend a small fortune on parking in major cities.

If I was going to do it in a "fun" old car I would look at an Audi Quattro or if I was feeling especially adventurous a Lancia Delta Integrale, or perhaps a comedy 4x4 truck type thing, and I'd definitely look for a LHD & fit winter tyres. Flogging it after could be an issue though.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes

Comment

Mid life crisis?
              If this is my mid life crisis, I'll be dead by 60.

Still, may as well enjoy it. I don't have much in the old pension pot
              Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                Seems like fun
                Yes.

I'm not even reading the rest of the thread before replying. If it seems like fun, and you're in a position to do it, then do it. This applies to every moment of life

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Just over £20k gets you 911 Turbo with like 50k miles over nearly 10 years but it looks more or less like new 997 - better deal than brand new BMW 3 series
                  Presumably in that age and price bracket your talking about a 996 or 996 turbo? ..... wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

996's in general suffer from a range of problems. They were the first water cooled 911 and they didnt get it right at the first attempt. RMS failure (engine out fix), intermediate shaft bearing failure (new/recon engine), cracked cylinder liners (silsleeve repair by autofarm or new/recon engine) etc.

996 Turbo's have their own subset of problems too, they use a different engine block to the standard carrera's.

If your looking for a bulletproof 911 to do a run like this in, go for a 993 - reliable and can take the punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    IMO choice of car doesn't matter that much, but you want something reliable, ideally 4WD (assuming you are going in the winter), with a bit of room in for souvenirs, snowboards and that sort of thing. Comfort & space are key on a trip of several weeks to a few months, and a lack of flashness / preciousness is good too, unless you plan to spend a small fortune on parking in major cities.

If I was going to do it in a "fun" old car I would look at an Audi Quattro or if I was feeling especially adventurous a Lancia Delta Integrale, or perhaps a comedy 4x4 truck type thing, and I'd definitely look for a LHD & fit winter tyres. Flogging it after could be an issue though.
                    Doesn't the fact you are doing it in a 911 make part of the excitement?

Anyway the Turbo is 4WD, the 911 has two small seats in the back and plenty of boot space up front.

If you are going to do it, do it in a 996 Turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
                      Presumably in that age and price bracket your talking about a 996 or 996 turbo? ..... wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

996's in general suffer from a range of problems. They were the first water cooled 911 and they didnt get it right at the first attempt. RMS failure (engine out fix), intermediate shaft bearing failure (new/recon engine), cracked cylinder liners (silsleeve repair by autofarm or new/recon engine) etc.

996 Turbo's have their own subset of problems too, they use a different engine block to the standard carrera's.

If your looking for a bulletproof 911 to do a run like this in, go for a 993 - reliable and can take the punishment.
                      Disagree. As you say the 996 Turbo engine is a different block from the rest of the 996 range and doesn't suffer the failures that the other 996 engines do. It's a very reliable engine considering it's got over 400 bhp. You are also getting 4WD which is essential if you are travelling in winter.

The air cooled engines are very expensive to maintain and repair and the handling of the 993 is "interesting" verging on dangerous. Winter in Europe in a 993 RWD with the engine hanging over the arse? No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X