• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV shows from the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Breaking Bad, Dead Like Me, The Killing (US), Between, Lost Girl, Orphan Black.

And still got House of Cards, Pretty Little Liars, Orange is the New Black, LillieHammer, and some others I haven't started yet.

Bloody Netflix.
    I watched series 1 of House of Cards (US). It was good but became annoying, didn't bother with series 2. It wasn't as good as the UK version by a fairly long way, though obviously had a huge budget.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      It wasn't as good as the UK version by a fairly long way
      Wow, I completely disagree! Way better and much more devious than the UK version, which is so dated now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Wow, I completely disagree! Way better and much more devious than the UK version, which is so dated now anyway.
        No way! The US version contained no humour, whereas the UK version was both more humourous and more realistic. Spacey is a fine actor but eventually I had trouble believing in his character. The asides to camera were an entertaining part of the original, but almost absent from the US version. And it wasted our time with oddities like his wife jogging around the cemetery FFS. US dramas seem to to this almost as if to pad out the content and make long running times.

Yes, the UK version is a bit dated. But what made it something of a masterpiece at the time was Ian Richardson - he made Urquhart so charming, so dapper that you can't help liking the Machiavellian rogue. I didn't like Spacey's character very much. Nobody in the US series is likable. And they can keep the pr0n thanks. I don't really want to see Underhill munching carpet. Ugh.

Having said that I bought, watched and enjoyed(ish) the US series 1, and narrowly decided not to buy season 2.

Comment

and narrowly decided not to buy season 2.
          I thought the seasons improved as they progressed. YMMV.

Comment

No way! The US version contained no humour, whereas the UK version was both more humourous and more realistic. Spacey is a fine actor but eventually I had trouble believing in his character. The asides to camera were an entertaining part of the original, but almost absent from the US version. And it wasted our time with oddities like his wife jogging around the cemetery FFS. US dramas seem to to this almost as if to pad out the content and make long running times.

Yes, the UK version is a bit dated. But what made it something of a masterpiece at the time was Ian Richardson - he made Urquhart so charming, so dapper that you can't help liking the Machiavellian rogue. I didn't like Spacey's character very much. Nobody in the US series is likable. And they can keep the pr0n thanks. I don't really want to see Underhill munching carpet. Ugh.

Having said that I bought, watched and enjoyed(ish) the US series 1, and narrowly decided not to buy season 2.
            I have Ian Richardson narrating The Prince on an audio CD. A timeless gem.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Madam Secretary - I watched the first 3 episodes so you don't have to

Not awful but not very good either.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Madam Secretary - I watched the first 3 episodes so you don't have to

Not awful but not very good either.
                The Brink is a spoof version, again could be better.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoying Ian McShane's character in Ray Donovan.

Didn't think it was going to work as I thought I'd be expecting Tink & Eric to pop up at any moment but he plays it with menace.

Comment

Just watched S1 Prison Break. Quite good but not sure how this can drag on another couple of seasons.

Has anyone seen S2 and S3 ? Worth my time?

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                      Just watched S1 Prison Break. Quite good but not sure how this can drag on another couple of seasons.

Has anyone seen S2 and S3 ? Worth my time?
                      Don't forget S4 and the movie to finish, and they have just announced a reboot!

It's hit and miss, enjoyable but very silly especially in S3 and S4
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X