• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

medical check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    To be fair Dodgy, Halo is a permie. So the useful advice you've had from contractors is still zero.

It probably still is worth talking to HR people as they might be able to advise on how to communicate about a sensitive issue, so as not to offend and destroy the business relationship.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      It probably still is worth talking to HR people as they might be able to advise on how to communicate about a sensitive issue, so as not to offend and destroy the business relationship.
      I wasn't saying it wasn't relevant.

I was just pointing out that the only person to come to the aid of an agent was a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        I was just pointing out that the only person to come to the aid of an agent was a permie.
        & is anyone suprised by that ?
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Go for it. Maybe even throw in a mental health assessment, you never know. We hired a guy who seemed normal at interview but after a few months completely lost his mind after his wife started shagging a 18 year old guy she met off plentyoffish. We had no end of trouble from him including him alleging that he spotted me standing in front of his house with a gun in my hand.
          Last I heard he was admitted to some mental health institute.
          Hmmm. Be careful with that one. Isn't it 1 in 4 people will have some sort of mental health problem in their life. Could turn up more problems than you think.

Remember, we're all just a step away from it. Prime example - Gary Speed.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I have a strong feeling that there is'nt anyone on this site that would pass a drugs and alcohol medical. As for the mental bit ...
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I have a strong feeling that there is'nt anyone on this site that would pass a drugs and alcohol medical.

As for the mental bit ...
              oops
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

My client wants to offer a contractor a job but is worried that he may be alcoholic. I have suggested we run a medical check on him first as it is a long term assignment. I am not sure how he is going to react has anyone here been asked to do a medical prior to being offered a contract?
                As someone else pointed out, why take the chance? You don't owe him any obligation, so just move on to the next candidate.

That said though, Winston Churchill and William Pitt liked the odd dram. So you/they may be missing a good candidate, unless he went totally off the rails.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Why do they think he's an alcy? A fellow contractor I worked with had the shakes but was not an alcy - even though many suspected otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Why do they think he's an alcy? A fellow contractor I worked with had the shakes but was not an alcy - even though many suspected otherwise.
                    Also there are some medical conditions where people's breath smells of alcohol. Even medical staff have been caught out by this.

As Halo pointed out both you and the client need to be careful.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X