• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project running late - offer to work weekend cos I'm a star!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Qdos suggested on a contract review that being paid a different rate for overtime is what permies do, so was an IR35 pointer.

I never offer anyway.
    It isn't overtime; it's weekend time. If that's an IR35 pointer then every self employed plumber is a disguised permie.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      It isn't overtime; it's weekend time. If that's an IR35 pointer then every self employed plumber is a disguised permie.
      You're right - I remembered it wrong

The contract made reference to "Additional Rates" for hours worked outside the standard hours and "Call Out and Standby" rates.

Qdos said
      Call out rates and standby rates are employee benefits. Should you agree any additional hours, please ensure they are charged at your normal hourly rate.
      but made no comment on the additional rates.

The agent laughed when I mentioned it and said "it's amazing how many contractors want to be paid more for working on a weekend or working extra hours!"
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Client (or at least PM) is trying a new approach now....

Apparently, even though I've offered to work at the weekend IF THEY ARRANGE IT, they still cant be arsed. But, it seems that, its now my fault even though I'm expected to do about 10 things at the same time.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that client is trying to hint that they want 12 hour days out of me (i.e. for **** all) to catch up on their piss poor project plan but aint willing to cough up a few quid extra for me to do weekends. ho hum....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Client (or at least PM) is trying a new approach now....

Apparently, even though I've offered to work at the weekend IF THEY ARRANGE IT, they still cant be arsed. But, it seems that, its now my fault even though I'm expected to do about 10 things at the same time.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that client is trying to hint that they want 12 hour days out of me (i.e. for **** all) to catch up on their piss poor project plan but aint willing to cough up a few quid extra for me to do weekends. ho hum....
          Of course they want you to solve their problems for them. They can't admit its their screw up so the only option is to trick you into working more hours.

Oh they also probably believe their screwed up project will become obvious to everyone if the invoices increase in size so there is no way they will agree to paying you for the extra hours.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Of course they want you to solve their problems for them. They can't admit its their screw up so the only option is to trick you into working more hours.

Oh they also probably believe their screwed up project will become obvious to everyone if the invoices increase in size so there is no way they will agree to paying you for the extra hours.
            There's definitely some sort of game going on because I seem to deal with multiple PMs all who seem to think their little bit is critical.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X