• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Annual Sports Personality of the Year Sweepstake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The year 9s 1974 and the scene is the US Masters at Augusta. A hush descends over the crowd at Amen Corner and all eyes are on a figure hunched over his ball lying in a seemingly impossible position in a bunker.

The next thing we know, the ball is in the hole. That shot by Lee Trevino was known as the "Shot that was heard round the world" and was the greates golf shot ever played.

Fast forward 37 years to a year in which 3 young Irishmen win Major titles. This I think will be a year where Northern Ireland should be honoured in this competition. This will be achieved by awarding this title to one of Darren Clarke, Rory McIlroy or Graeme McDowell.

My vote is for Clarke. It is nice to see the nicest man in golf has won.

Comment

Strauss / Cook won't get it because the cricket team should win team of the year.

Cavendish won't win it because no-one follows cycling (or not enough of the proles anyway).

Too many golfers, so people won't make a decision between any of those.

Andy Murray needs to win a grand slam (and have a personality) to win.

Mo Farrah to win.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Gary Speed on a late wave of public support?
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          Gary Speed on a late wave of public support?
          It seems that he isn't in the list.

He'll just get a mention though because they always list the famous sports people who died during the year. Dilley and Roebuck were two more who died young-ish.

Comment

I'd choose Mo Farah. Exemplary athlete with the right approach; could teach the England rugby team a few things about how to be a professional sportsman.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
              Fast forward 37 years to a year in which 3 young Irishmen win Major titles. This I think will be a year where Northern Ireland should be honoured in this competition. This will be achieved by awarding this title to one of Darren Clarke, Rory McIlroy or Graeme McDowell.

My vote is for Clarke. It is nice to see the nicest man in golf has won.
              McDowell can't win it, he's not in the shortlist.

He had his chance last year but got done over by an internet campaign for the Irishman Tony McCoy. Just as world champions Button and Ennis got done by an internet campaign for Ryan Giggs the year before.

Darren Clarke will probably get the sympathy vote and win it, but he isn't a young Irishman. He's 43 and the oldest person in the list.

Comment

My choice would be Cavendish, what he's achieved is incredible. He's got personality as well, which is supposed to be what this is partly about.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Im going for Rory McIlroy
                  Isn't he the obvious favourite?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Isn't he the obvious favourite?
                    No I think Clarke is. Ryder cup stalwart, wife dies, he takes time off then comes back and wins the Ryder Cup again, now this year winning his first major (and probably his last).

And he's fat, drinks loads of Guiness and smokes big cigars so he'll get the non-PC vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Eh? That's an outstanding field, one of the best ever. Just because it hasn't got any footballers.

World champion cyclist
                      Major-winning golfer (British Open)
                      Another major-winning golfer (US Open)
                      World golf matchplay champion and world number one golfer
                      World champion athlete
                      Another world champion athlete
                      World champion boxer
                      Highest test run scorer in world in the year
                      Cricket captain who led England to be number one test team
                      and Andy Murray

Do you follow sport at all?
                      A sport should involve both physical prowess and skill. That takes out golf, cycling and athletics. Murray's never won anything of significance so that takes you down to three very quickly.
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X