• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nearly bought it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    What are the opinions of our driving experts on this incident?
    Do we have an experts on anything here?

I always thought was someone who learned from the mistakes of others - and I will certainly learn from the incident you posted. Cheers.

Comment

On the way in this morning.

Slow truck ahead with 6 cars between me and it.

Nobody attempting to overtake even though there are opportunities.

So, shifted down a couple of gears and overtook 3 cars before I had to get in again.

Then the I overtook put his foot down and closed the gap leaving me in the face of oncoming traffic.

Slammed on the anchors and ended up getting back in where I started. At the back.

Stop driving like a So you overtake a few cars to get half way up the queue. Supposing that you get past the truck, how much in the whole scheme of things would you have saved in terms of time? 10 secs? Instead you almost cause an accident
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Do we have an experts on anything here?

I always thought was someone who learned from the mistakes of others - and I will certainly learn from the incident you posted. Cheers.
        Though I also nearly made the same mistake myself. On the Borough Green to Sevenoaks road. 1987. Wide lanes about to narrow. I had about 10 cars to make - so floored the capri. I then realized I was not going to make it. My girlfriend started to scream. I closed my eyes - too late to back off. Then I realized I was still alive! The person at front of the queue must have seen me and braked. I am eternally grateful - and I have driven alot more carefully since.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          What is the lesson you would be teaching?
          That the offender isn't the only moron on the road?

Drive defensively - you'll arrive pretty much at the same time, but much more relaxed. Driving aggressively may get you there a little quicker, but increases the risk of not getting there at all - and taking a few others out along with you.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

drive in Germany and then you only ever pull out if you're the fastest car on the road or else by the time you get passed the 1st car you have a lambo with headlights on (no matter the time of day) coming over the horizon and in 2 secs will be right up your @rse.

Germans, drive well (i.e they use the 3 lanes wisely and not in the USA sense of "all 3 lanes go the same speed"), however, when it goes wrong it causes some serious multi car pileups and a lot of delays
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              That the offender isn't the only moron on the road?

Drive defensively - you'll arrive pretty much at the same time, but much more relaxed. Driving aggressively may get you there a little quicker, but increases the risk of not getting there at all - and taking a few others out along with you.
              How is wanting to overtake an act of aggression?
              No one seems to have been taught these days how and when to overtake, so are content to sit behind a slow moving vehicle in an ever increasing line of cars and await a dual carriageway.
              If you are going to do it then putting your foot down and completing the maneuver in the shortest time is the safest way of doing so.
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

...but the worst accident I have seen is on a single carriageway where a vehicle is overtaking a line of traffic on the other side of the road and a car joining from a junction on the right pulls up to the give way marking, checks right (but not left) and then turns left into the path of the overtaking vehicle.
                I still see lots of people joining roads after only checking the traffic coming from the right..

Always wondered how Plod would apportion blame for that accident
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

No one seems to have been taught these days how and when to overtake, so are content to sit behind a slow moving vehicle in an ever increasing line of cars and await a dual carriageway.
                  As soon as you do hit the dual carriage way, every one who was behind the truck instantly moves into the second lane and you'd better hope that the driver in front makes some effort at overtaking the truck in a timely manner and pulling back in afterwards.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

...but the worst accident I have seen is on a single carriageway where a vehicle is overtaking a line of traffic on the other side of the road and a car joining from a junction on the right pulls up to the give way marking, checks right (but not left) and then turns left into the path of the overtaking vehicle.
                    I still see lots of people joining roads after only checking the traffic coming from the right..

Always wondered how Plod would apportion blame for that accident
                    I've wondered this too. I suspect in theory it is the fault of the person pulling out of the junction, but I reckon once you are on the wrong side of the road, any accident and you are going to get a prison sentence for dangerous driving no matter what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      Stop driving like a So you overtake a few cars to get half way up the queue. Supposing that you get past the truck, how much in the whole scheme of things would you have saved in terms of time? 10 secs? Instead you almost cause an accident
                      That is exactly what old people say. It is the same mentality as those that whine about other people earning more money than they are, or the neighbour peering at next doors new car and checking that it does'nt cost more than theirs. People can leave their petty envies and egos at home and if they are not intending to overtake stop behaving like a flock of selfish sheep and leave gaps between themselves and the car in front.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X