• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Sort Of Flat Would You Go For?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Flat? Isn't this a contractors forum?
    A flat is a pretty good solution if you are spending a extended amounts of time away from home.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Another obvious tip: Don't get a top floor flat with a flat roof. You will have water coming in and the freeholder/management company will almost certainly do nothing to fix it.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        Another obvious tip: Don't get a top floor flat with a flat roof. You will have water coming in and the freeholder/management company will almost certainly do nothing to fix it.
        Don't get any property with a flat roof.

That includes extensions on normal houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Don't get any property with a flat roof.

That includes extensions on normal houses.
          You're not thinking like Beeny.

On your own house you can always alter it, add a pitched roof or whatever (which will add value).

In a flat you can't.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Trust me, not every flat roof can be converted to a sloping one, at least not without ruining the architectural lines of the rest of the house (i.e. making it look crap).

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Trust me, not every flat roof can be converted to a sloping one, at least not without ruining the architectural lines of the rest of the house (i.e. making it look crap).
              Even so, at least with a house, should the roof develop a leak, the repairs are under your control.

Comment

Nothing wrong with first/ground floor flats - as long as the damp proof course is good - who wants to schlep shopping up a stairway? and you get the garden.

Nothing wrong with a flat on 2 levels, a 'duplex' (I understood a maisonette did not have a shared door to the street) - I believe Trelick Tower has flats on 2 levels.

Nothing wrong with flat roofs - correctly done, maintained and resealed every 12 years - no problems.

The management company and landlord need to be thoroughly researched - as many have pointed out here, they have the ability to f**k everything - for me this is the most underated aspect of buying a flat type property. Ask the neighbours what the management company is like - this will speak volumes. The take a look at the building's accounts and projected works.
                Last edited by Fishface; 28 November 2011, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Two floors makes it a maisonette
                  I have a flat with two floors (ground and first) with small garden and garage. I think two floors isn't that unusual, I've seen it in new and old developments, and in expensive developments as well as in social housing. (For an old example, I think some Barbican flats have two floors.)

I looked up "maisonette" many years ago, and I think the definition is that you must have your own entrance from outside the building. My flat qualifies because of the glass sliding door leading into the garden, even though that isn't the front door, but there are lots of other flats in my development that don't, for example one split between 4th and 5th floors.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                    Flat? Isn't this a contractors forum?
                    I received an estate agents flyer yesterday with 12 local flats shown, they ranged in price from £1,250,000 to £2,500,000.

Comment

The current london giant's den is a ground floor flat. It's a maisonette as it does have it's own door off the street and a courtyard.

Not much noise except some muffled footsteps from the flat above and the drone of a tumble dryer.

Best the bar chest and coffers would allow for a place in Zone 2.
                      Last edited by redgiant; 29 November 2011, 13:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X