• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Martin Johnson quits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Dunno, but I don't think replacing MJ is the answer; Rob Andrew should be dumped and replaced by a highly experienced coach who can help MJ become the coach he can be and will one day become. Geoff Cooke, Roger Uttley spring to mind, of 'overseas candidates' I'd suggest Graham Henry or Geech.
    Martin Johnson has no experience of coaching and management and should never have been given the job in the first place. I am not saying he would not become a good coach/manager but you do not "train" someone by throwing them straight into the biggest job in the entire sport.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      throwing them straight into the biggest job in the entire sport.

Comment

Martin Johnson has no experience of coaching and management and should never have been given the job in the first place. I am not saying he would not become a good coach/manager but you do not "train" someone by throwing them straight into the second biggest job in the entire sport.
        Not as much pressure as All Black coach.

What surprises me, if you've ever seen Martin Johnson, is he is one scary MuthaFarker. What was going on in that camp with all the shennanigans? How could he not get a lid on it?
        Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Martin Johnson has no experience of coaching and management and should never have been given the job in the first place. I am not saying he would not become a good coach/manager but you do not "train" someone by throwing them straight into the biggest job in the entire sport.
          Yep, I think you're right there, BUT England have now invested more than 3 years in MJ and I am sure that he will become a very good coach, somewhere. I'd prefer to seem him do that with England.

Coaching is a bloody difficult thing to do, it confronts you with your own limitations, and that's a lot to ask from a guy who's very young for the position; you need the backing of someone with more experience when you're getting started in the role.

But whoever it is, don't make someone work under Rob Andrew. I still hold that the 'Director of Elite Performance' (if we really need one) should be a coach who has demonstrated over a long period that he can get the best out of players and coaches, and that's where the Geech, Roger Uttley or perhaps Woodward, Cooke or Gatland would be valuable.

I think what you've said just makes a stronger case for getting rid of Rob Andrew; he's the man who threw MJ into a job he felt he could not refuse (servant of English rugby and all that) and then failed to give him the help he needed.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            It's called the RFU for a reason.

Comment

It wasn't Rob Andrews' fault. Nothing is Rob Andrews' fault. In fact, nobody within the RFU is to blame for anything.

There's a proper structure you know, and outsiders know nothing about proper structure.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post

What surprises me, if you've ever seen Martin Johnson, is he is one scary MuthaFarker. What was going on in that camp with all the shennanigans? How could he not get a lid on it?
                The rest of them aren't exactly small weedy little guys either you know. Intimidation doesn't really work against high level players; if they were scared they wouldn't reach that standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  It wasn't Rob Andrews' fault. Nothing is Rob Andrews' fault. In fact, nobody within the RFU is to blame for anything.

There's a proper structure you know, and outsiders know nothing about proper structure.
                  I admit to being a donkey forward and that my idea of multi-tasking is to shove, grunt and fart all at once, and I know I don't understand 'proper structures', but I do know how to cripple poncey little gelboy fly halves who refuse to take responsibility for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
                    What Dodgy obviously mean is that the England RFU has the most players and the biggest turnover of all the nations, including New Zealand. That makes it the biggest job in the sport.

Dodgy didn't mention pressure, but that is debateable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      I admit to being a donkey forward and that my idea of multi-tasking is to shove, grunt and fart all at once, and I know I don't understand 'proper structures', but I do know how to cripple poncey little gelboy fly halves who refuse to take responsibility for anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X