• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing - Going for a serious thread, wish me luck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This

5 year fixed rate bond (yearly interest) | BM Savings

No longer 5%, but 4.65%. I put long term bonds for the kids into it.
    The real rate is probably < 0 due to inflation and tax.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      The real rate is probably < 0 due to inflation and tax.
      R85

Now say something useful.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

- Make sure you have enough in readies to cover a few months without earning, so you dont have to cash in.
        - Use ISA's + SIPP's
        - Find cheapest index tracker - might as well be all-share, I believe HSBC are good. You don't have the skills or knowledge or time to play the market any other way.
        - Avoid costly funds.
        - Spread payments to take advantage of poun-cost averaging.
        - HOLD NERVE during market drops, remember your payment buys more shares at this time
        - Start reading fool.co.uk

Fire and forget - in 30 years you will be laughing.

Comment

Hey chuckle lad.

Birmingham Midshires launches 5% cash Isa - March - 2011 - Which? News

I took mine at 5%. Looks like this was another boat you missed.

Or this. RPI at 5.7%

NS&I - Index linked savings certificates

There aren't any NS&I Index Linked issues on sale at the moment which is a shame because they are the best 'safe' option by a country mile.

I popped a few bob into one of the most recent issues for 4-month-old micro Equalizer, as well as myself. Might pay for 1% of uni fees if he gets that far.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
            Pension - go for a Sipp style product and use the full tax free allowance from your Ltd.
            Agree with the pension, but not the alleged necessity that contractors should all get SIPPs rather than something more traditional.

If you take low salary and follow the "don't exceed salary as pension contributions" guideline, that and your ISA will account for £16-17k each year. How much more do you have?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Agree with the pension, but not the alleged necessity that contractors should all get SIPPs rather than something more traditional.

If you take low salary and follow the "don't exceed salary as pension contributions" guideline, that and your ISA will account for £16-17k each year. How much more do you have?
              I don't understand SIPPs and hence I stay away from them. I know this won't have a straightforward answer, but how much would one have to 'invest' each year, and for how long, to generate £25k a year income?

I play a mixture of the long and short game. The short game is disastrous - I've lost £15k on spreadbetting in the past 2 months, so am staying away for now.

The bulk of my investments are in property, which I am aiming to generate approx £50k a year in 20 years' time (that's 50k in today's terms). We're on about £20k at the moment, after mortgage and tax.

I have some ISAs mainly in funds such as China and Bolton's old funds, but they're not doing very well. I'm going to keep plugging in £10k a year for as long as possible. This is purely for growth and not for income.

Shares will get a lot cheaper before rising, so I'm holding out before I plunge back in.

Opened up 2 RPI linked NSI accounts (wife & I) so am happy to let that tick along.

30 is a great age to get serious about investing - good luck and stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                The desired plan is to make a few quid and get good at making a few quid, keep it up and keep building that nest egg / warchest.

Not being greedy if I could make £100 a day I would be so very chuffed. Seriously.
                Did I mention Ebay Suity, did I???? That's a good one.

Made £200 so far this week over 3 accounts and it ain't Friday yet.

More tips to follow.

Comment

Did I mention Ebay Suity, did I???? That's a good one.

Made £200 so far this week over 3 accounts and it ain't Friday yet.

More tips to follow.
                  You could have bought on the dip 1st thing this morning. -60 odd points before a move +ve.

Quick in and out on the likes of Barclays/Standard Life/Inmarsat would have netted you a quick 3%.

Comment

You could have bought on the dip 1st thing this morning. -60 odd points before a move +ve.

Quick in and out on the likes of Barclays/Standard Life/Inmarsat would have netted you a quick 3%.
                    And just sold. Good call Marillionfan. Well played sir.

Comment

And just sold. Good call Marillionfan. Well played sir.
                      Well done.

I'm still very much in the nursery slopes with all this spreadbetting. Now I can read a candlestick chart properly I have started winning more than losing. As I already lost a few hundred I have curtailed activity to £1 per point.

This afternoon made £50 trading the eurusd

Small steps in the right direction.
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X