• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing - Going for a serious thread, wish me luck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say no to Gold. Long-term rate of return is 0% real, i.e. equal to rate of inflation, but currently it is well above where it should be. Suggest you look at where the price is relative to trend.

Shares are good, FTSE All-share Index is a good choice considering (a) you are just starting out and (b) value at the moment. If you can, buy Vanguard UK tracker fund, which with a total expense ratio of 0.15% is cheapest you can get. (Difficult to get sometimes because of 100K minimum, is available without this minimum in dealing, ISA or SIPP accounts run by Alliance Trust Savings and Sippdeal.)

Buy the shares in your SIPP funded by employer pension contributions. The most tax efficient way to do it and the contributions are immunised against IR35.

Comment

Your investment plan sounds like something from a dummies book, do you know what Efficient Frontier means?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I am not after a quick return, I have only just turned 30 so long term investments

HTH
        So if you can make you dough quick you're not interested? Please explain?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          So if you can make you dough quick you're not interested? Please explain?
          I hope you're not going to be offering advice. You popped out for a long lunch last month and your warchest ran out.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I hope you're not going to be offering advice. You popped out for a long lunch last month and your warchest ran out.

Have been looking at spreadbetting recently to be honest. All this volatility in the market got my gander up. Not had too much success so far, my bets are ok and work out in the end but the day traders swing the markets 10% + either way to shrug off us amateurs and mop up all the winnings.

That said, the markets have been largely unplayable over the last few days (in terms of betting on any indices I mean)

G-Pap secures vote of confidence. Index reacts? Not fekking likely.
            Italian bonds hit 6.7%. Index reacts? More vascillation between 40 and 50 points but no wild swings that a mere amateur can get hold of.

In fact, the markets appear to be ignoring the eurozone which is weird. Already priced in? Don't make I larf, no one knows where this baby is going. Even SAS.

Bit of reading on order from Amazon, a long hard look at what I am doing, get some decent charts under my belt and I will go back in.

Flame away, but I have identified that I need to be doing something to bolster the war chest.

Comment

You don't need an IFA, be your own adviser by doing your own research, it has never been easier now we have the web. All the information you need is out there. You are fairly young so you can go aggressive on your investments. Invest monthly, to get the benefit of ups and downs in the market. Here's a starter for 10 -

JPM Natural Resources.
              Aberdeen Emerging Markets.
              Marlborough Special Situations.

You can't go wrong long term if you bung a few hundred quid a month into those.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Have been looking at spreadbetting recently to be honest. All this volatility in the market got my gander up. Not had too much success so far, my bets are ok and work out in the end but the day traders swing the markets 10% + either way to shrug off us amateurs and mop up all the winnings.

That said, the markets have been largely unplayable over the last few days (in terms of betting on any indices I mean)

G-Pap secures vote of confidence. Index reacts? Not fekking likely.
                Italian bonds hit 6.7%. Index reacts? More vascillation between 40 and 50 points but no wild swings that a mere amateur can get hold of.

In fact, the markets appear to be ignoring the eurozone which is weird. Already priced in? Don't make I larf, no one knows where this baby is going. Even SAS.

Bit of reading on order from Amazon, a long hard look at what I am doing, get some decent charts under my belt and I will go back in.

Flame away, but I have identified that I need to be doing something to bolster the war chest.
                You need to start carefully. Spreadbetting. Awfully risky.

Suity, let me tell you a story.

It was the first day of spring, a beautiful day with a light breeze and glorious sunshine. Two bulls stood at the top of a large valley looking below. One was young, fit, toned. The other older, wise, with old but stong muscles. In the valley below, a herd of young naive cows.

The young bull looked down into the valley, excited and chomping at the bit he turned to the old wise bull and said 'Hey old bull, let's run down into the valley and feck one of those cows'
                The old bull turned slowly but wisely to the young cow and said 'No young bull, lets walk down and feck them all'

Now. There's a moral to this story Suity, but in this case it's wasted on you, because you're one of the cows.

Comment

You need to start carefully. Spreadbetting. Awfully risky.

Suity, let me tell you a story.

It was the first day of spring, a beautiful day with a light breeze and glorious sunshine. Two bulls stood at the top of a large valley looking below. One was young, fit, toned. The other older, wise, with old but stong muscles. In the valley below, a herd of young naive cows.

The young bull looked down into the valley, excited and chomping at the bit he turned to the old wise bull and said 'Hey old bull, let's run down into the valley and feck one of those cows'
                  The old bull turned slowly but wisely to the young cow and said 'No young bull, lets walk down and feck them all'

Now. There's a moral to this story Suity, but in this case it's wasted on you, because you're one of the cows.
                  I was waiting for a response on this one. I said to myself, gor there's a stonewall opportunity to flex his muscles, give a glimpse into your financial knowledge and gain a place in the CUK elite as "one who is in the know". Drop a few crumbs of wisdom, enough to make us mere mortals salivate at your prowess and once and for all take your righteous place on this board as "the daddy".

Then I said, nah he's just a bulltulipter like the rest of us and he'll most probly post something about cow shagging.

Comment

I was waiting for a response on this one. I said to myself, gor there's a stonewall opportunity to flex his muscles, give a glimpse into your financial knowledge and gain a place in the CUK elite as "one who is in the know". Drop a few crumbs of wisdom, enough to make us mere mortals salivate at your prowess and once and for all take your righteous place on this board as "the daddy".

Then I said, nah he's just a bulltulipter like the rest of us and he'll most probly post something about cow shagging.
                    How much do you want to make? How fast? What risk?

Comment

How much do you want to make? How fast? What risk?
                      The desired plan is to make a few quid and get good at making a few quid, keep it up and keep building that nest egg / warchest.

Not being greedy if I could make £100 a day I would be so very chuffed. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                      X