• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Investing - Going for a serious thread, wish me luck"

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can you please list some funds that will be doing great over the next 12 months after all fees?
    There. Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It's been shown umpteen times that actively managed funds generally do worse than tracker funds because of the greedy and excessive fees charged by the fund managers.

Can you please list some funds that have been doing great over the last 12 months after all fees?
    I used to work for a "wealth management" firm. The called everything a "Product" which used to grate with me as most "products" required actually feck all "producing" and were really rather simple.

One of their best "products" was simply a Ltd Company they started, would then pile the punters cash in to the company bank account, let it grow at the bank's rate of interest, rake off a management fee and give the punters a divvy every now and again.

The owners (couple of young richer than you type ******* who were ALWAYS down the gym) were seriously thinking they would be up for young entrepreneur of the year!

s

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I would avoid FTSE 100 tracker funds - these simply track and so invest in the largest 100 companies quoted on the stock market - the 100 largest companies are not necessarily the BEST 100 companies to invest in.

Better to invest in a few managed funds, preferably ones that pay a regular dividend and re-invest this income and watch your funds grow!
    It's been shown umpteen times that actively managed funds generally do worse than tracker funds because of the greedy and excessive fees charged by the fund managers.

Can you please list some funds that have been doing great over the last 12 months after all fees?

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I would avoid FTSE 100 tracker funds - these simply track and so invest in the largest 100 companies quoted on the stock market - the 100 largest companies are not necessarily the BEST 100 companies to invest in.

Better to invest in a few managed funds, preferably ones that pay a regular dividend and re-invest this income and watch your funds grow!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by richy View Post
    Well remember you don't make that £100 per day unless you convert your investment equity back to UK pounds cash. Playing the markets doesn't work like that though, unless you want a bank account with daily interest rate.

Markets go down, and up, and down. the idea is to catch when down, and sell when up (enough)!
    Well thank you for those insightful words Richy. I feel I've learned something here. Mmmm. I'm thinking it now.

Leave a comment:

• richy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    £36500 per year.

Have you ever thought of contracting?
    Well remember you don't make that £100 per day unless you convert your investment equity back to UK pounds cash. Playing the markets doesn't work like that though, unless you want a bank account with daily interest rate.

Markets go down, and up, and down. the idea is to catch when down, and sell when up (enough)!

Leave a comment:

• richy
    replied
    Online gambling

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Online Poker.

HTH
    If you catch the post-pub crowd circa 12midnight you're on to a winner there. Gambling against drunk people is easy money. Just don't have a drink yourself ;-)

Leave a comment:

• richy
    replied
    Originally posted by doesNotCompute View Post
    You went contracting whilst you had debt rather than a small warchest? Very brave if so. I saved up 6 months living expenses before I had the 'confidence' to jump..
    I jumped when unemployed! had just taken voluntary redundancy, and exhausted that most of that cash!

Was almost out of money by the time I had to wait for VAT reg and biz account. luckily agency paid a big invoice I had submitted before VAT reg certificate came through. VAT reg date was of cause when I had applied, so that was ok (although a grey area!)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Says it all.

If you want to get poor very slowly, invest in the UK stock market.
    That doesn't include dividend reinvestment. Very poor analysis.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post

Shares are good, FTSE All-share Index is a good choice considering (a) you are just starting out and (b) value at the moment. If you can, buy Vanguard UK tracker fund, which with a total expense ratio of 0.15% is cheapest you can get. (Difficult to get sometimes because of 100K minimum, is available without this minimum in dealing, ISA or SIPP accounts run by Alliance Trust Savings and Sippdeal.)

Buy the shares in your SIPP funded by employer pension contributions. The most tax efficient way to do it and the contributions are immunised against IR35.

Says it all.

If you want to get poor very slowly, invest in the UK stock market.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Muwhahahaha.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    It's very simple, wait for a downturn/crash and buy distressed assets at a huge discount, wait a few years till the top of the business or leverage cycle and sell. Rinse and Repeat.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    When shorters get burnt!

Muwhahahaha.

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Share Prices | London Stock Exchange LSE | Yell Group YELL

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    Around December 1999 I read "The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide" and they were really preaching FTSE 100 or All-Share index-trackers (can't remember which but the 100 is a subset of the All-share so they're similar). Then in the year 2000 I started FTSE All-share index-tracking ISA, only to find (with a decade of hindsight) that it was the beginning of what I've since heard described as the "lost decade". The stock market has fluctuated a lot but it has ultimately gone nowhere during the last 10 years. Capital growth seems non-existant. The only benefit I see is dividend income (which I reinvest). I'm beginning to wonder whether the stockmarket is no longer a good long term investment, because it seems to be more about gambling than investing nowadays. Just my opinion!
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It's just been this way since 2008. Lots of short-termism in the markets, and plenty of volatility.

HTH
    WBS

Last ten years is completely different. Is it because of technology?

It was a given that the stock market used to return on average 11% per annum. That's no longer true. It's been a nightmare since the Dot Com crash. We had a rally up until 2008, it took 6/7 years to recover from 2001/2002. I got burnt on the first crash to the tune of £50k 'cash'. If I hadn't also bought BTL's during that period I would have been fecked.

Lost decade indeed.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well done indeed. Doubling your savings in a day is a huge achievement.
    In this market, at £1 a pip I think this (for a relative spreadbetting novice) is pretty awesome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X