• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing - Going for a serious thread, wish me luck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doesNotCompute View Post
    You went contracting whilst you had debt rather than a small warchest? Very brave if so. I saved up 6 months living expenses before I had the 'confidence' to jump..
    I jumped when unemployed! had just taken voluntary redundancy, and exhausted that most of that cash!

Was almost out of money by the time I had to wait for VAT reg and biz account. luckily agency paid a big invoice I had submitted before VAT reg certificate came through. VAT reg date was of cause when I had applied, so that was ok (although a grey area!)

Comment

Online gambling

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Online Poker.

HTH
      If you catch the post-pub crowd circa 12midnight you're on to a winner there. Gambling against drunk people is easy money. Just don't have a drink yourself ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        £36500 per year.

Have you ever thought of contracting?
        Well remember you don't make that £100 per day unless you convert your investment equity back to UK pounds cash. Playing the markets doesn't work like that though, unless you want a bank account with daily interest rate.

Markets go down, and up, and down. the idea is to catch when down, and sell when up (enough)!

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
          Well remember you don't make that £100 per day unless you convert your investment equity back to UK pounds cash. Playing the markets doesn't work like that though, unless you want a bank account with daily interest rate.

Markets go down, and up, and down. the idea is to catch when down, and sell when up (enough)!
          Well thank you for those insightful words Richy. I feel I've learned something here. Mmmm. I'm thinking it now.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I would avoid FTSE 100 tracker funds - these simply track and so invest in the largest 100 companies quoted on the stock market - the 100 largest companies are not necessarily the BEST 100 companies to invest in.

Better to invest in a few managed funds, preferably ones that pay a regular dividend and re-invest this income and watch your funds grow!
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              I would avoid FTSE 100 tracker funds - these simply track and so invest in the largest 100 companies quoted on the stock market - the 100 largest companies are not necessarily the BEST 100 companies to invest in.

Better to invest in a few managed funds, preferably ones that pay a regular dividend and re-invest this income and watch your funds grow!
              It's been shown umpteen times that actively managed funds generally do worse than tracker funds because of the greedy and excessive fees charged by the fund managers.

Can you please list some funds that have been doing great over the last 12 months after all fees?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                It's been shown umpteen times that actively managed funds generally do worse than tracker funds because of the greedy and excessive fees charged by the fund managers.

Can you please list some funds that have been doing great over the last 12 months after all fees?
                I used to work for a "wealth management" firm. The called everything a "Product" which used to grate with me as most "products" required actually feck all "producing" and were really rather simple.

One of their best "products" was simply a Ltd Company they started, would then pile the punters cash in to the company bank account, let it grow at the bank's rate of interest, rake off a management fee and give the punters a divvy every now and again.

The owners (couple of young richer than you type ******* who were ALWAYS down the gym) were seriously thinking they would be up for young entrepreneur of the year!

s
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Can you please list some funds that will be doing great over the next 12 months after all fees?
                  There. Fixed.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                  X