• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Facts and Fiction on Global Warming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still say slap on the lotion and enjoy the sun.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I understand

Originally posted by Fungus
      You do realise don't you that the current climate was created by life?
      Once more for the hard of understanding, I do not need to understand the issues involved in GW because they are not clear cut and will not provide enlightenment, all I need to do is observe how the opposing camps behave and draw conclusions based on this evidence.

As someone in the middle not disbelieving or believing in the causes of increased GW (but isn't it so that without GW this planet would be baron, so aa degree of GW is essential and variance is tp be expected), I draw the conclusion that the believers have a weak case as to the causes of GW and the remedies based on the level of hysterical emotional outpourings.

As much as it may displease you, you are not the font of all knowledge, you may whole heartedly believe you are right and may marshall all the facts at your disposal to support this view but you may well be wrong and this refusal to accept you could be wrong produces a ferver that non-believers instinctively distrust before the facts are assessed, in fact you have a terrible approach to dealing with people so if by some wild happenstance you have stumbled upon some great truth it will be lost amongst the angst you create - real smart cookie.

Comment

I don't believe you're impartial in the slightest. You've got an agenda, just not the balls to be open about it, so instead you mask it by claiming neutrality but it's quite clear where your bias lies.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Last night we at xoggoth institute re-examined our fugures in the light of latest irrefutable evidence and it is 650'C rise in 30 years not 450. By the year 2103 the Earth will be a new sun. You doubters will be sorry then but it will be too late.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hmm....

After reading this thread, I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that the facts vary depending on who's version / interpretation you read.

Since there seems to be no definitive "this is the facts and they are 100% empirically correct", then I'm afraid I'll have to agree with the old tosser GV.

Probable outcomes are all very well and good...but they are just that...probable...and hence, have no credence in my mind.

I'm a bit fed up with wishy-washy, pseudo-scientists postulating ideas and hypotheses that are incorrect or motivated by non-scientific motives.

I expect scientists to calculate all probable and improbable outcomes, and come up with a well-considered analysis bereft of political prejudice....but evidence proves that they are incapable of doing so...ergo anything from a scientist's mouth is immediately suspect...
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

So you don't think "probable" good enough to act on, even when then the consequences are so significant?

Nothing is ever absolutely certain so it seems to me that we should consider not just the probability but the cost of doing something vs likely consequences of doing nothing. Many of the "somethings" we need to do anyway,since reducing emissions equates to a considerable extent to saving energy.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                If a scientist demonstated that GW was fiction, using reproducible methods, he would become famous overnight.
                Very few are suggesting that GW is not happening, what is at issue is how much it is dependant upon we humans and our pesky carbon emissions.
                GW has occurred cyclically for millions of years and done the planet no lasting damage. You lentil-munchers need to stop panicking so much and provide some quantifiable research results if you want to convince those of us capable of analysing things for ourselves.
                I can't see that happening however as whipping up mass hysteria by carping on about extravagantly horrific scenarios is the best way to conjure up funding for continued "extensive research into GW" gravy trains.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  Last night we at xoggoth institute re-examined our fugures in the light of latest irrefutable evidence and it is 650'C rise in 30 years not 450. By the year 2103 the Earth will be a new sun. You doubters will be sorry then but it will be too late.
                  Look on the bright side, no more winter fuel bills.

Shine on You Crazy Diamond ...

Comment

Originally posted by vista
                    Didn't people once get flayed alive for believing or suggesting that the world wasn't flat? at the time it didn't matter whether they were right or wrong what mattered was the behaviour of the people doing the flaying????
                    According to a programme on the box recently. No, they didn't.

The Egyptians, The Greeks, the medieaval (spelling?) monks etc were all capable of observing the curvature of the earth. It was said on that programme that Columbus actually thought the earth was pear shaped - Though I don't know the source of that nugget of information.

Comment

Oh Dear

Originally posted by snaw
                      I don't believe you're impartial in the slightest. You've got an agenda, just not the balls to be open about it, so instead you mask it by claiming neutrality but it's quite clear where your bias lies.
                      I'm quite happy to accept that 8 billion people living on the planet have an effect for the good or the bad purely because it stands to reason that we will have an effect.

What I'm not prepared to accept is the hysterical ranting of those predisposed to hysterical ranting ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X