• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kids' football

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    .... So now I've googled, and I can't find anything that suggests an accidental hand ball is a bookable offence. Indeed everything suggests that play should be allowed to continue.

I've helpfully pointed this out to both husband and son. Now they're both telling me to "shut up" and "what do you know about football?"

Law 12 Handball

Tell that to Stuart Pearce.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
      I've run the line many times

best to just stick to offside and throw ins.

Leave everything else to the ref, especially if it's against your team.
      Good advice. But doesn't allow for the fact that husband knows more about football than players/refs/coaches/fifa and is never wrong about anything, especially football.

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Oh dear. I'd slope off for a quiet pint while they sort it out.
      Even better advice. They're now happily united against the common enemy (me) for offering an opinion on something I couldn't possibly begin to understand. (They've headed off to the Reading match, so will hopefully come home in a good mood after a win.)

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Tell that to Stuart Pearce.
      Certainly. Who's he? Does he post on CUK?

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly
        So Elvis handled the ball and Mr k2p2 grassed him up?
        I'm confused ...
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

.... So now I've googled, and I can't find anything that suggests an accidental hand ball is a bookable offence. Indeed everything suggests that play should be allowed to continue.

I've helpfully pointed this out to both husband and son. Now they're both telling me to "shut up" and "what do you know about football?"

Law 12 Handball

You didn't say where your son was positioning his hands.

If he had them away from his body a proper ref will usually construe that as attempting to spread himself to block the ball, even if that wasn't his specific intent.

The lesson for your son is keep your hands down, close to his body. A proper ref wouldn't give it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            You didn't say where your son was positioning his hands.

If he had them away from his body a proper ref will usually construe that as attempting to spread himself to block the ball, even if that wasn't his specific intent.

The lesson for your son is keep your hands down, close to his body. A proper ref wouldn't give it then.
            I have no idea - I'm not keen to raise the subject again to ask!

Comment

Get him playing rugby then at least then no-one - player, parent, supporter - is allowed to question the ref.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If he was booked then the ref must have decided it was deliberate, but it should probably have been a red if it was on the goal line.

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:
                • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
                by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
                his own penalty area)
                Laws of the game

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  If he was booked then the ref must have decided it was deliberate, but it should probably have been a red if it was on the goal line.

Laws of the game
                  All agreed it was accidental. Only person who saw it was lino. Ref spoke to lino who said it was accidental. Ref was very young himself - late teens.
                  Ah well - it appears to be forgotten today, and a booking will probably do his street cred good!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Get him playing rugby then at least then no-one - player, parent, supporter - is allowed to question the ref.
                    That's because most parents and supporters at that level are baffled by the laws of rugby. It's just easier to take the ref's word for it.

Comment

Important question is whether it's 'ball to hand or hand to ball'

Law 12 Handball

If the ball has hit his hand whilst the hand is positioned naturally it's no foul. If he has instinctively put his hand up (accidentally) it is a foul, unless he's naturally flinched and is trying to protect a bodily part, I.e. Balls, face.

Shouldn't have been a yellow if accidental.
                      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                      X