• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The word Bob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am with Tiro on this one.
    I had understood "Bob" was a term referencing anyone of an Indian persuasion.

Do I now have to change my understanding to accept that the term "Bob" is a reference to an Indian chap who works in IT and offers much quickness plenty cheap.

You live and learn.
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
      How is your shop?

PS: your hero Fish is a Jock
      Actually Hogarth is Irish.

Now how did this inherent racism first manifest itself to you? As a kid? I'm just off to the Paki shop as they used to say in Scotland. Or popping out for a chinky? Dropping the N word in to conversation????

And now you've moved on to the offensive B word.

<inserts shake head smiley>
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think quite a lot of the 'Bob' comments on this board are bordering on racist. But the fact is that many of our lives are made difficult by the needful doings of some of our colleagues from the Indian sub continent. However, many of the comments frequently fail to recognise that there are many very capable Bobs, and many incompetent non-Bobs (commonly called 'permies' - frequently used in the same disparaging way as 'Bob', but without the racial connotations). It's a stereotype, and as such, is mildly racist.

In this case, the gentlemen was British, and wasn't an IT contractor. I didn't therefore feel he was a 'Bob', however I don't think describing him as one is any more racist than other use of the term.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          I think quite a lot of the 'Bob' comments on this board are bordering on racist. However, the fact is that many of our lives are made difficult by the needful doings of some of our colleagues from the Indian sub continent. However, many of the comments frequently fail to recognise that there are many very capable Bobs, and many incompetent non-Bobs (commonly called 'permies' - frequently used in the same disparaging way as 'Bob', but without the racial connotations). It's a stereotype, and as such, is mildly racist.

In this case, the gentlemen was British, and wasn't an IT contractor. I didn't therefore feel he was a 'Bob', however I don't think describing him as one is any more racist than other use of the term.
          I think we need a definitive answer on this issue!

Oi Bob Shawadiwadi!!! Come and do the needful!

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post

Do I now have to change my understanding to accept that the term "Bob" is a reference to an Indian chap who works in IT and offers much quickness plenty cheap.

You live and learn.
            Yup, that is exactly how it is meant and used on this BB.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Actually Hogarth is Irish.

Now how did this inherent racism first manifest itself to you? As a kid? I'm just off to the Paki shop as they used to say in Scotland. Or popping out for a chinky? Dropping the N word in to conversation????

And now you've moved on to the offensive B word.

<inserts shake head smiley>
              "Derek William Dick, better known as Fish, (born 25 April 1958, Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland) is a Scottish progressive rock singer, lyricist and occasional actor, best known as the former lead singer of Marillion."

He's a Jock, get over it!

Comment

Yup, that is exactly how it is meant and used on this BB.
                Sorry mate, you're still showing a 1 on the scale of 1 to 100 on the giveaf*ckometer. Try a bit louder!

"Derek William Dick, better known as Fish, (born 25 April 1958, Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland) is a Scottish progressive rock singer, lyricist and occasional actor, best known as the former lead singer of Marillion."

He's not MF's hero, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  Nope (IMHO)

My understanding of the word - Generic crappy outsource guys who give themselves British sounding names.

For those relatively new here. It comes from the legendary poster that is Bob Shawadiwadi

Comment

Steve Hogarth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hogarth 1989 - Present.

Irish.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Erm:

Hogarth was born in Kendal in Cumbria. His father was an engineer in the British Merchant Navy. He was brought up on a council estate in Doncaster from the age of two. As a child he became interested in music, his earliest influences being The Beatles and The Kinks. He taught himself to play piano. Leaving school at the age of eighteen, Hogarth spent three years studying for a degree in electrical engineering at Trent Polytechnic. He was also a member of a band during this time, Harlow, who played working men's clubs. The band split in 1981 and Hogarth left his engineering degree, moving to London to further his music career.

Comment

Working...
                      X