• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protectionism - Let the currency war begin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Sorry Dodgy, you're talking bollocks. During a true global conflict elections would be suspended.

The first General Election in the United Kingdom after 1935 wasn't held until 10 years later, in 1945!
    Makes Churchill losing in '45 seem odd too. Apparently the most popular PM they'd been, according to ratings after the war; 83% popularity rating.

Comment

Sorry Dodgy, you're talking bollocks. During a true global conflict elections would be suspended.

The first General Election in the United Kingdom after 1935 wasn't held until 10 years later, in 1945!
      It does normally take cross party support to go to war in the first place though.
      That is a lot harder to achieve than in a dictatorship.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
        Makes Churchill losing in '45 seem odd too. Apparently the most popular PM they'd been, according to ratings after the war; 83% popularity rating.
        The man himself was popular. The sweeping reforms promised by the Labour Party ensured their victory.

Comment

My point is that no single group or individual within a democratic country can unilaterally go to war without the approval of the majority of the population. yes subsequent elections may be suspended.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The man himself was popular. The sweeping reforms promised by the Labour Party ensured their victory.
            Tried suggesting the Conservatives were all Brown shirts too. Dirty Labour...

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
              It does normally take cross party support to go to war in the first place though.
              There is nothing new in a government lying to their people to start a war. Indeed because most people prefer living in peace to bloody and horrific death in war, any government that desires to initiate a war usually lies to their people to create the illusion that support for the war is the only possible choice they can make.
              The above says what I meant to convey in a far more eloquent manner.
              Last edited by Churchill; 12 October 2011, 10:50. Reason: To correct the impression that I wrote the above when in reality I stole it of t'interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                My point is that no single group or individual within a democratic country can unilaterally go to war without the approval of the majority of the population. yes subsequent elections may be suspended.
                Didn't we go to war with Iran/Argentina, without giving the incumbents our approval? Or have I missed a point?

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  They don't go off to fight though.

Comment

There is nothing new in a government lying to their people to start a war. Indeed because most people prefer living in peace to bloody and horrific death in war, any government that desires to initiate a war usually lies to their people to create the illusion that support for the war is the only possible choice they can make.
                    Yes, but they still have to make the case and the opposition has to support the deception (or be deceived itself) like Bliar did.
                    A lot easier for the like of Saddam who just says "right lads off you pop".

I get what you are saying, I do honestly. Bliar went to war against public opinion. Even after convincing the Tories to support him with the doctored document I think the Country was against him and we still went in.
                    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Ah but that's not what you actually said...

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                      If a government from a democratic country embarks on a war it has to be approved by the population or they get voted out at the next election. Saddam Hussain was able to go to war without any mandate from anyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X