• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protectionism - Let the currency war begin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    A recent study concluded that a regional conflict involving India and Pakistan dropping 50 bombs each would kill about a billion people because the atmospheric disturbance would disrupt the global food supply and people all over the world would starve.

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pd...iAmJan2010.pdf
    Still not as bad as a few ppm of CO2 in the air though.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Hypothetical.

There will never be a Nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan. It's in no-ones interest.
      Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out completely, Pakistan is quite unstable. I'd be more worried about them than the Iranians TBH.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out completely, Pakistan is quite unstable. I'd be more worried about them than the Iranians TBH.
        Iran and Pak are the places which worry me the most, and now we have the Americans playing hard ball with them too...

Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Hypothetical.

There will never be a Nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan. It's in no-ones interest.
          Stability-instability paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
            Iran and Pak are the places which worry me the most, and now we have the Americans playing hard ball with them too...

Hmmm.
            I do not believe that the leadership in those 2 countries is extreme enough to want to die so doubt they would start anything unless they thought they were dead anyway.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I thought they got 4kt out of the last one.
              Nobody is sure on the yield. After the 2009 test The Russians came out with a figure of 20kt and others have produced a figure as low as 1kt

The 2006 test was estimated between 0.5kt an 0.9kt.

Even the Yanks only use the word "probably" in relation to the tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                I do not believe that the leadership in those 2 countries is extreme enough to want to die so doubt they would start anything unless they thought they were dead anyway.
                Yes but Pakistan has a reasonable probability of a change of leadership or nutter infiltration. One can also envisage terrorists or rouge military shooting first and causing India to retaliate. Unlikely but possible.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes but Pakistan has a reasonable probability of a change of leadership or nutter infiltration. One can also envisage terrorists or rouge military shooting first and causing India to retaliate. Unlikely but possible.
                  I agree completely, and I think this is the 'worst case scenario' I think could play out, or would be the one most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Since when do the people get to vote on big things like wars?
                    If a government from a democratic country embarks on a war it has to be approved by the population or they get voted out at the next election. Saddam Hussain was able to go to war without any mandate from anyone.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      If a government from a democratic country embarks on a war it has to be approved by the population or they get voted out at the next election. Saddam Hussain was able to go to war without any mandate from anyone.
                      Sorry Dodgy, you're talking bollocks. During a true global conflict elections would be suspended.

The first General Election in the United Kingdom after 1935 wasn't held until 10 years later, in 1945!

Comment

Working...
                      X