• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The youth of today ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The youth of today ....

Am I just super-inteligent, or are the skills required to get into IT not what they where when I was a lad .....

I had a case a couple of months ago where I was writing an app for a client.
    The client 'amended' the specs midway though (as is their will !), requesting a 'configuration' option. They wanted to be able to turn various flags on and off to affect the operation. What they did not want was a load of variables in the source code as they felt they would change the parameters reasonably frequently and did not want to recompile code etc. They also did not want config files and the like.

The solution I proposed and implemented was to use a 'spare' field in one of the DB tables that the app interacts with. There was one spare numeric field available 64 bits wide. Nice, 64 config options (even though today they only need 8) - lots of scope for future development.
    So, the solution is to assign each bit position as a config option. Then the app looks at the value in the field, and does logical ANDs to determine if a given option is enabled.
    How easy can it be ?

But I had 2 (younger) colleagues who just could not understand it !
    If OptionA was bit 1, OptionB was bit2 and OptionC was bit3; you would AND the field value with 1, 2 and 4
    They could not understand this , and would say things like "if the field value is 4 then OptionC is enabled". Whilst that is true, they just could not understand that OptionC would be enabled if the value was 4, 5, 6 or 7 !!

AND is probably the easiest logical operator to get your head round; and they could not grasp it !

What do they teach them these day ?

Computer Science.

What a mistake of a course is that...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Good old single Led's and switches are best.

Get eight of them to sit at the front of the class with U,2,4,8 etc held up.

i.e. there are 8 people sat down = 0, 8 people stood up = 255, then only Britney (U), Wayne(4) and Todd(16) stand up that makes 21.

They need to realise that each person has an individual value.

Why AND instead of using a bitwise operator?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I might pass as a young'un, at least from a speeding train in very low light. And must admit, encoding them bitwise in a single borrowed numeric database field isn't how I'd store config. What was their problem with 'config files and the like?'

Comment

Working...
        X