• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google ads sponsored links scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never even considered this, feeling indestructible and all. So without one, you don't get treatment?

I always thought I'd hobble on to the next flight out if wurst came to wurst.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Yeah - and I for one would rather the NHS spends money on SEO than cancer treatments
      How much money you think NHS spends on paid advertisements?

NHS domains are highly trusted and pretty much anything they put on will rank for relevant phrases - SEO for them is a no brainer and a very cheap way to reach relevant people - otherwise it's lawyers who pay for PPC get customers who search for illness and then they sue NHS to make £££s.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I've never even considered this, feeling indestructible and all. So without one, you don't get treatment?

Apparently repatriation costs can be huge if needing a medevac chopper or plane as there aren't many hospital beds on EasyJet flights.

These cards give access to free basic care but don't cover everything IIRC.

[temps fate] I've not been near a doctor or hospital (apart from visiting others) for over 20 years, so I just get el cheapo travel insurance for holidays.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

NHS domains are highly trusted and pretty much anything they put on will rank for relevant phrases - SEO for them is a no brainer and a very cheap way to reach relevant people - otherwise it's lawyers who pay for PPC get customers who search for illness and then they sue NHS to make £££s.
          Have I a vague recollection of Google being lambasted for pushing sponsored links higher up the rankings than strictly deserved?

Comment

Have I a vague recollection of Google being lambasted for pushing sponsored links higher up the rankings than strictly deserved?
            Sponsored links have their own ranking, however Google is constantly experimenting with ways of showing same stuff differently.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

You are missing the point I was making. I don't expect the NHS does or should spend on SEO just so that morons are "protected" from the possibility that the top Google return won't be an NHS site. This was in response to Wilmslow's failure to consider that it could happen based on his crazy assumptions.

It was an attempt at irony which passed you by.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Absolutely! It's a well known fact that Google employs a staff of several trillion to try out every combination of search terms that might possibly be used in any present or future eventuality by anybody on Earth, and then check that the first result is the correct one according to whatever criteria any searcher might have for "correctness".

FFS
                Nor do they bother to highlight the sponsored links at the top of the page so you know they are sponsored.....

Oh, Wait.....

WNFS.

And BTW, if you click on the top link returned as an actual relevent search result, not a sponsored link, it's the one you actually need.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  You are missing the point I was making.
                  I think you are missing half a brain.

Please run a search in Google to see if NHS can help you, but make sure not to give credit cards to some dodgy site.

Comment

When I type "EHIC card" in to Google, the top result is https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do, which I assume is the correct one.

No idea how you tell whether it's a sponsored link or not, I've never looked out for those, until now.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      Apparently repatriation costs can be huge if needing a medevac chopper or plane as there aren't many hospital beds on EasyJet flights.

These cards give access to free basic care but don't cover everything IIRC.

[temps fate] I've not been near a doctor or hospital (apart from visiting others) for over 20 years, so I just get el cheapo travel insurance for holidays.
                      Without one you will be charged for any treatment overseas and have to get the money back from your insurance, assuming you have some. They cover pretty much everything in the country you are in but do not cover repatriation costs, including any medical support required. Thats what your travel insurance is for. If you need to be flown home with a nurse or doctor in attendance it quickly gets into the tens of thousands, and the further away you are the more it costs.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X