• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England V Scotland

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I believe he's Welsh.

If you actually took time out to understand the words of The Flower of Scotland you'd maybe appreciate it's about Scottish identity and not about kicking English arse.
    Scottish identity. So it's a BNP style song. Thanks for
    clearing that up.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you actually took time out to understand the words of The Flower of Scotland you'd maybe appreciate it's about Scottish identity and not about kicking English arse.
      O flower of Scotland
      When will we see
      Your like again
      That fought and died for
      Your wee bit hill and glen
      And stood against him
      Proud Edward's army
      And sent him homeward
      Tae think again

The hills are bare now
      And autumn leaves lie thick and still
      O'er land that is lost now
      Which those so dearly held
      And stood against him
      Proud Edward's army
      And sent him homeward
      Tae think again

Those days are passed now
      And in the past they must remain
      But we can still rise now
      And be the nation again
      And stood against him
      Proud Edward's army
      And sent him homeward
      Tae think again

What ever you say.......
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Aye, celebrating Bannockburn. That King Edward was useless and paid for it with a red hot sword shoved two feet up his arse.

Comment

I believe he's Welsh.
          So he is. Sorry for the insult malvolio.

Comment

So if we had a song about Edward Longshanks as our anthem, sung about the Battle of Dunbar & seizing the Stone of Destiny.. that would be acceptable in 2011 ?

About time you Scots grew up..
            Last edited by Troll; 2 October 2011, 16:39.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I don't mind them singing it. After all, the sixth verse of the British national Anthem reads:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
              May by thy mighty aid
              Victory bring
              May he sedition hush
              And like a torrent rush
              Rebellious Scots to crush
              God save the King

The difference is that I don't think anyone sings this anymore, probably because the scots are now assimilated.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Nope, never mind the waffle, I hit the point spot on.

You said England wouldn't get much further and would get "swamped by southern hemisphere teams".

"Southern hemisphere teams" are teams from the southern hemisphere. And England won't meet any of those until the final, which is almost as far as you can go in any tournament.

Scots, what would we do without them.
                Also it's interesting to consider how England will be swamped by multiple teams, given that it's a knock-out tournament now.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It is a dirge of a tune played on the pips of dirge. Not as bad as Scotland the Brave where we somehow produced a 'national anthem' on our 'national instrument' outwith its register.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    So if we had a song about Edward Longshanks as our anthem, sung about the Battle of Dunbar & seizing the Stone of Destiny.. that would be acceptable in 2011 ?

About time you Scots grew up..
                    There is a one big difference, the Scots are singing about sending home an unwelcome invader with the sole purpose of subduing a nation. Your ditty above would be celebrating the actual invader. Personally I think a nation has a right to celebrate 'sending home an invading army - tae think again'.

Comment

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
                      There is a one big difference, the Scots are singing about sending home an unwelcome invader with the sole purpose of subduing a nation. Your ditty above would be celebrating the actual invader. Personally I think a nation has a right to celebrate 'sending home an invading army - tae think again'.
                      Actually Edwards campaign against the Scots was in response to attack by the Scots on Carlisle.... would that do?
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X