• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for all the God-bothering Christian types on here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
    I've given up explaining the concept of Faith long time ago as it's just pointless with most non-believers.
    I usually just answer by the following joke:

There was a group of scientists and they were all sitting around discussing which one of them was going to God and tell Him that they didn't need him anymore.

One of the scientists volunteered and went to tell God that he was no longer needed.

The scientist says to God - "God, you know, a group of us have been thinking and I've come to tell you that we really don't need you anymore. I mean, we've been coming up with great theories and ideas, we've cloned sheep, and we're on the verge of cloning humans. So as you can see, we really don't need you."

God nods understandingly and says. "I see. Well, no hard feelings. But before you go let's have a contest. What do you think?"

The scientist says, "Sure. What kind of contest?"

God: "A man-making contest."

The scientist: "Sure! No problem".

The scientist bends down and picks up a handful of dirt and says, "Okay, I'm ready!"

God replies, "No, no, no... You go and get your own dirt."
    Why bother explaining to thin air???
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      When I was young and impressionable I spent a long while studying Zen Buddhism.

I steeled myself to have a gentle explanation to me mammy who heard me out, thought about it and replied:

"Whatever makes you happy Love, just don't become a Protestant"....

Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        When I was young and impressionable I spent a long while studying Zen Buddhism.

I steeled myself to have a gentle explanation to me mammy who heard me out, thought about it and replied:

"Whatever makes you happy Love, just don't become a Protestant"....

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
          That you Cardinal Biggles??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The explanation why some people may be more religious than others may be as simple as that they have more active temporal lobes.

BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon - God on the Brain

Given what I know of human psychology (we can convince ourselves of whatever we want) and neuroscience (we can artificially cause "religious" feeling by stimulating temporal lobes, thus mimicing what may be abnormal brain chemistry), I am am inclined to discount people's accounts of religious feeling as having (abnormal?) biological causation.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              The explanation why some people may be more religious than others may be as simple as that they have more active temporal lobes.

Given what I know of human psychology (we can convince ourselves of whatever we want) and neuroscience (we can artificially cause "religious" feeling by stimulating temporal lobes, thus mimicing what may be abnormal brain chemistry), I am am inclined to discount people's accounts of religious feeling as having (abnormal?) biological causation.
              Astrophysicist says science points to God's existence

Here is Professor Brand's description of his topic: "Our scientific understanding of the physical Universe exposes us to great beauty and to mind-stretching ideas. In presenting the current picture I shall try to persuade you that this understanding, based on physical laws and careful observation, is secure. But we must recognize that this security is based on faith: faith that the laws of physics apply everywhere and always. This faith is tested continually and (so far) has always been justified. Its consequence is our modern technological society of planes and cars, bridges and wind turbines, TVs and the Internet. How does the idea of faith in God fit into this scheme? I explore, from my own perspective, how physical understanding moderates the possibilities. While it is of the essence that God cannot be known in the same sense as physical facts are, one can use science to suggest what God is not. This reduction technique is routine in science (and Sudoku) and is very productive. How far can it be taken in this case? I suggest that there is a position from which both faith systems seem simultaneously reasonable."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Is this sas complaining because people have too much imagination?

There is no pleasing some people
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Is this sas complaining because people have too much imagination?

There is no pleasing some people
                  That's just what Jesus said!

Alms for an ex-leper?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    That's just what Jesus said!

Alms for an ex-leper?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I reckon it's about time some sockies got burnt for utter heresy!

Comment

Working...
                      X