• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

California Dreaming...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to San Francisco in a few weeks for a quick, may turn into something else, who knows.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I was offered a job in Dallas,Texas a couple of years ago but Mrs. didn't want to be too far away from her Mum and Dad so I very reluctantly turned it down. Not working for that company anymore now and the Mrs. M&D are gone, so I brought it up again recently, but the kids are at GCSE and A level age and don't want to go!

Comment

Many relatives and friends went to live in the USA. All of them became very successful.
        Two friends who were licensed real-estate agents lost a lot of money and after 15 years have come back to the UK.

Some of the older relives after 30-40 years wanted to come back to the UK because medical treatment was too expensive but they popped their clogs beforehand.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Some of the older relives after 30-40 years wanted to come back to the UK because medical treatment was too expensive but they popped their clogs beforehand.
          That was one of the main things I didn't like about the USA, it's all well and fine when you are working and the company are paying for the health insurance but as soon as you are out of work or retire then it's an huge additional cost! Also the health insurance companies will try their best to get out of paying for things! It's one of the biggest causes of bankruptcy in the USA. If you have a 'preexisting' conditional then you are truly f ucked.

Comment

California has been finished since 2001. It is now a bankrupt state, similar to many other parts of the US. Health insurance is just one of the big issues crippling this nation.

It always amazes me to see how many people around the world are brainwashed by this land-of-the-free stuff, even after the economic events of the past decade. Kudos to Hollywood, the greatest advertising machine ever invented.

People here should start following Krugman's columns in the NY Times to gain a less starry-eyed perspective on where things are headed over there.
            Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

CA didn't seem to be showing signs of falling apart to me. It has an oil industry and is the worldwide centre for medical innovation - not to mention all the creative stuff, the vineyards, huge areas of incredible agricultural fertility, tourism, education, ...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                CA didn't seem to be showing signs of falling apart to me. It has an oil industry and is the worldwide centre for medical innovation - not to mention all the creative stuff, the vineyards, huge areas of incredible agricultural fertility, tourism, education, ...
                Nice climate to be homeless in though?

Comment

A colleague of mine just got a job (hah!) with Apple in San Francisco. 12 days holiday a year.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Fecker cancelled the meeting.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      A colleague of mine just got a job (hah!) with Apple in San Francisco. 12 days holiday a year.
                      Yeah it might be a shock moving there as a permie - you'd need to actually like your work.

If you're homeless, just go to Venice Beach.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X