• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

you can never save enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can never save enough

I'd like to lift this one out of the "Oh dear: 8 out of ten tempted to vote for BNP..." because it's a quite different point.

Originally posted by stackpole
    The only sustainable solution to our pension deficit is for people to save more for themselves while they are earning.
    Isn't the problem that it only works if you save more and others do not? The problem is not lack of savings, it's lack of working people to do the work for those who want to be retired.

I don't mean a lack of working people to come up with the money to support the oldsters: money is only a means of exchange. I mean a lack of people to fix cars and plumbing, deliver meals-on-wheels, do home care, all the things that retired people will need a workforce to do for them. There just won't be a big enough workforce. If you have saved and others have not, you're OK: you can just outbid them. But you can't fix the general shortage by having everybody save more: all that will do is put up the price of labour.

(A similar logical problem arises in housing: particularly old people's, in this context. If everybody saves more for their retirement home, it just puts the price up. Rather in the same way as upping the threshold for stamp duty from 120k to 125k just puts the price of all the 119500 flats up to 124500. You can tweak the market, but never by pretending that it's a hand of cards that's already been dealt).

thanks for that Expat,

nice one

Milan.

Comment

Surely the philosophy should be. Save loads, die young, don't collect, let the annuity companies keep the lot...

Comment

No one listening to you in the pub then cowpat?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
          No one listening to you in the pub then cowpat?
          On yer bike, blue balls!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            Surely the philosophy should be. Save loads, die young, don't collect, let the annuity companies keep the lot...
            I prefer quit now (in your head), pay cash, don't retire, and die broke.

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head.

A lot of people fail to realise this. They think everyone will retire and someone will serve you lunch at the local pub.

THERE WON'T BE A LOCAL PUB.....

or for that matter newsagent, plumber....etc etc.

But think ......

What will this mean....lack of labour ?? hmm think so...inflation yup, erosion of savings, yup right again..

so it means people who work will earn a fortune, people who have money at the bank will have their saving frittered away due to the high cost of labour. (eg "yes sir that will be £5000 for fixing your drainpipe")

...so...that means 80 year olds all signing up for plumbing classes.

Me ...well my plan is to f** off to Asia, where they'll be plenty of young people, and plumbers willing to work for only £100 an hour.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

"Me ...well my plan is to f** off to Asia, where they'll be plenty of young people, and plumbers willing to work for only £100 an hour."

I think the authorities are clamping down on this kind of behaviour!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  But you can't fix the general shortage by having everybody save more: all that will do is put up the price of labour.
                  Ah, but an increase in the price of labour in this industry will also lead to an increase in the supply of such labour as more and more people join the industry, enticed by the money. Indeed, working in the 'care' industry is actually becoming more and more lucrative by the day.
                  Last edited by ALM; 19 April 2006, 08:23.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    But you can't fix the general shortage by having everybody save more: all that will do is put up the price of labour.
                    What you seem to have forgotten is that, by saving more, working people are spending less, which drives the price of labour back down again.

Comment

Working...
                    X