• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

email attachments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you zip binary attachments or not, the size of the email will always be bigger as the email protocol dictates attachments are encoded into printable text characters, so each binary byte become multiple text characters on the wire.

Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial

It's because the Internet and Email was invented by Unix geeks. If Microsoft had invented all this stuff everything would be binary, proprietary and require upgrades every two years.
    Actually it's not so much Unix geeks as the state of comms way back when - modems and terminals which only transmitted 7 bits per byte. This was fine for US-ASCII, which doesn't have accented characters, and binary was a no-no due to a combination of speed and cost.

If I sent you an email from one of my old systems using a plain text mail client, all you would see in the body of the message source is "Hello DP, how's the price of gold today?", but Outlook would by default send that in Quoted printable format

Worse still, many modern email clients will send the plain text, plus an HTML version, which is an awful lot more bytes. You can see this effect on Usenet if you use a plain text news reader. A 100 byte message body can soon turn into several KB.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      That doesn't explain why his 7MB attachment makes a 21MB email. That has to be because he's using a mac.
      Maybe there is a simple explanation - scooter's math skills are not good enough to add up properly?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        An e-mail just in, 3 attachments 7MB total file size of all 3 files. Email size 21MB! What's going on?
        7+7+7=21.

Comment

That doesn't explain why his 7MB attachment makes a 21MB email. That has to be because he's using a mac.
          The files I received were PGP encrypted attachments. Might have had something to do with it.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The files I received were PGP encrypted attachments. Might have had something to do with it.
            Maybe it was GZ attachment?

Comment

Just sent myself a 6.9MB photo using Mac Mail.app; it came out the other end at 9.4MB, which is around 137%

Comment

Base64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly
                  I just did the same. Yes, the results do appear to be 137% larger.

Here are the before and after pics (possibly NSFW).....
                  http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/...cec257ea2d.jpg
                  I tried to make out the picture of my non-naked lady in my encoded text, but though there were patterns discernible, I couldn't make out my non dirty picture content. Might have worked with boobies?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    God you really are spectacularly, phenomenally stupid aren't you?

A half decent attempt to distract from the fact you haven't the slightest clue either... we know this is the case because if you DID know, you would be unable to resist gloating about it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So wait a minute are you IT whizz kids telling me the protocol used in email transmission sucks?

Why has someone not invented a binary email protocol?

Would sending less data not be a green thing to do?
                      If I am not mistaken with UUCP you can send a binary file. Usenet uses UUCP and on the alt.binaries.xx you can download binary files.
                      Last edited by petergriffin; 22 September 2011, 16:55. Reason: what?
                      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                      X