• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can a contractor sue the end client for not providing the work promised ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Thats a tulip example. If I buy a shoddy good I would complain as I am paying for the service. In this case the client is paying me to solve a problem, the fact the problem is not the one they initially asked you to fix is irrelevant, they are paying you to fix today's current pressing issue.

and you've seen what happens if you complain so either love it or complain and see how quickly your bum reaches the bench.

You can always sue them but could I be your lawyer. I'm not qualified but I would happily spend the £1,000plus you would waste trying to prove how much of a clueless numpty you seem to be.
    I'm thinking more in terms of getting something back in terms of being shafted in business - business is not just about sitting there earning money from a client and following their wishes exactly and not questioning their word ever. I know you guys think that contractors suing end clients is a 'no-no' as it creates a bad industry rep. but I am sick of tired of ending up on a client site and being led into a role that was not even 97% what was agreed upfront.

Comment

Their contract with you is that you provie some services and they pay you. You are getting paid arent you ?

So what is the problem ? The judge will laugh at you. The client isnt exactly asking for a different kind of service, as far as he is concerned you are a seasoned programmer and can do what ever is chucked at you.

If you want a proper career join a proper company as a permie.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I'm so pleased I missed this one

They hire you, you work, they pay you.

Did you deliver the products they wanted you to deliver?

It's the what that's important, not the how.

Get off yer high horse and give the client what they want.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Actually sounds like a great role for me.

As my main skillsets are the exact reverse, hardcore VB and a little C# on the side.

Not a large American Bank in Canary Wharf by any chance? :-) Have seen this a few times.

Sub me in , only £650 a day.

I presume your contract is with the agency, so its them that are responsible really.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
            My WRITTEN and signed contract clearly states "C# Developer" at the top yet it turns out 6+ months into a contract there has been 5% C# .Net development, the majority seems to be VBA and VB6 work which we've been reluctantly made to do.

One other contractor complained about this broken promise of C# .Net work and was promptly marched out of the building on the very same day he voiced his protest.

I was wondering is there any scope to sue the end client for misleading me into this role given it may well have an impact on my future employment getting de-skilled etc. I know you guys will say "serves you right for sticking in the role" but it was the sort of old school environment where questioning something gets you kicked out immediately (exactly what occurred to the other guy).

thanks for any advice, (even if its "you aint got a chance in hell at suing for loss of future potential earnings !)
            Count yourself lucky, I know a guy who did 2 interviews got the role "JAVA developer" spent 6 months doing his bosses work, became a powerpoint expert. He refused to extend his contract, his boss refused to give him a reference as he had not see him do any JAVA development.

HTH
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

You can't sue the end client, you sue the agency, and you have absolutely no chance, you'll lose
              Won't your contract be up for renewal in a few months? you can get a new one. Don't see how a few months working on VB is going to harm you.

Might be a good idea to cuddle up to the bank, with economic storm clouds looming, you want to be more interested in your bank account rather than some "artificial" language.

You can always convert your code into C# automatically and then you can tell you future clients you wrote loads of C#. When you go for a new interview they won't check back to your previous client, they'll test you on your knowledge, on the CV you write C# and VB even if it's 5% C#. You want to be more worried about passing the tests, and you don't learn how to do that by writing code, you do that by reading books.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 September 2011, 07:49.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                I'm thinking more in terms of getting something back in terms of being shafted in business - business is not just about sitting there earning money from a client and following their wishes exactly and not questioning their word ever. I know you guys think that contractors suing end clients is a 'no-no' as it creates a bad industry rep. but I am sick of tired of ending up on a client site and being led into a role that was not even 97% what was agreed upfront.
                Did you think about asking what the role entailed in the interview? This is how it should have gone in the interview:
                You: What will a typical day/week involve.
                Them: 95% VB development and 5% C# development.
                You: ah I want to focus on C# development, is that going to be possible?
                Them: No
                You: OK for that reason, I am out. Goodbye

Comment

Think of the positives, you are getting C# rates for VB work? boomed.

Or you could just punch the manager.

Comment

Congrats to this sockies owner - Totally clueless proposition hooked people in well and good persistence in the follow up that they were right, there must be something I can do, it's SO unfair.
                    Trouble is, the story is so ridiculous I think you will lose most people quite quickly.

Comment

Hmmm. I also wonder why the OP is moaning. It happens. As long as you get paid who cares?

If you're that bothered get another contract.

Personally, if the client wants me to sweep the car park I'll do it as long as they pay me the same.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X