• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AtW has the right idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bun in the Oven

Originally posted by hyperD
    Ah, I can see a Plan C for hyperD Enterprises in case the Plan B fails to deliver....

"Lucifer Box & hyperD's One In The Oven" bakery
    I was thinking of promoting it to be my plan B the other day. In fact, I was thinking of making it my plan A. Freshly baked bread delivered to your doorstep. Get a few ovens installed in the garage and hey presto...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      I was thinking of promoting it to be my plan B the other day. In fact, I was thinking of making it my plan A. Freshly baked bread delivered to your doorstep. Get a few ovens installed in the garage and hey presto...
      I know someone who did that: got a small French commercial baguette oven and deliverd in South Ken. 20 years ago it was a good plan.

Comment

It's a good plan now I reckon. The backlash against supermarket sh1te is starting to gain momentum. We're lucky to have an olde stylee independent baker in my area, but not everyone knows it's there or can be arsed to go there to get their own bread.

Hell, even Amazon are at it now... Amazon puts corn flakes on menu

Got to be better than arsing around with computers.

Comment

Got to be better than arsing around with computers.
          Anything....

Comment

Someone's already doing this in Clapham LB - might be worth checking out their business model. What you do have is that once people taste bread as it used to be made, they simply find it wonderful but often do not "have the time" to make it.

Once you provide the hookup and the convenience, you've got it made. Especially for a demographic that is prepared to pay a higher price for the flavour.

http://www.oldpostofficebakery.co.uk/

P.S Made some wonderful challah bread the other day as well. Going to make some simple "French" style bread today...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Are you lot gay or what?

Rather make bread like girls rather than tackle a big .NET project. What is this place turning into?

Get a grip men. Send your women down the shops and get your arse back in front of that computer like a real man.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                Are you lot gay or what?

Rather make bread like girls rather than tackle a big .NET project. What is this place turning into?

Get a grip men. Send your women down the shops and get your arse back in front of that computer like a real man.

Mine refuses to go out cos it's raining
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                  Someone's already doing this in Clapham LB - might be worth checking out their business model. What you do have is that once people taste bread as it used to be made, they simply find it wonderful but often do not "have the time" to make it.

Once you provide the hookup and the convenience, you've got it made. Especially for a demographic that is prepared to pay a higher price for the flavour.

http://www.oldpostofficebakery.co.uk/

P.S Made some wonderful challah bread the other day as well. Going to make some simple "French" style bread today...
                  I've had some bread from them, hyperD. Have to say, some was good and some not so good. In my opinion my rye bread is better than theirs and all I've got is a regular domestic oven (and I don't do any of this spraying it with water or putting trays of ice cubes in there).

You are absolutely right that once you've had a proper loaf again it's very hard to go back to supermarket bread (for me, impossible) but not everyone has the time or inclination to go to the local proper bakery (assuming there even is one), never mind bake their own.

Comment

I've had some bread from them, hyperD. Have to say, some was good and some not so good. In my opinion my rye bread is better than theirs and all I've got is a regular domestic oven (and I don't do any of this spraying it with water or putting trays of ice cubes in there).

You are absolutely right that once you've had a proper loaf again it's very hard to go back to supermarket bread (for me, impossible) but not everyone has the time or inclination to go to the local proper bakery (assuming there even is one), never mind bake their own.
                    Lucifer, do you know anywhere where I can get a low-salt/no-salt loaf? The amount of salt in bread is truly criminal.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Absolutely agree, Sasguru. One slice of the typical supermarket loaf has more salt in it than a packet of salted peanuts (plus lots of hydrogenated fat and fungicides)

Some of the supermarkets have cottoned onto this and sell a few loaves of "Lo-Salt" bread, which uses a chemically manufactured mix of potassium and sodium chlorides, with anti-caking agents and the ubiquitous "treatment agents". Of course, this misses the point that it's the type of salt that matters a great deal, sea salt, that retains all its trace elements, being much preferable (and more salty so less is needed).

You can't use no salt, as the bread won't rise otherwise, so it's all about quantity and quality. You need to stop buying supermarket bread and seek out your local independent bakery, where they will use "real" salt and less of it, as they don't have to cover the flavour of the hardened fats and the fungicide that the supermarkets add.

There are many well known craft bakeries in London, many of them available through delivery schemes such as Able & Cole or the Organic Delivery Company, or your local farmers' market.

Comment

Working...
                      X