• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

15% off is not what it seems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15% off is not what it seems

BBC News - Times Atlas 'wrong' on Greenland ice

Leading UK polar scientists say the Times Atlas of the World was wrong to assert that it has had to re-draw its map of Greenland due to climate change.

Publicity for the latest edition of the atlas, launched last week, said warming had turned 15% of Greenland's former ice-covered land "green and ice-free".

But scientists from the Scott Polar Research Institute say the figures are wrong; the ice has not shrunk so much.

The Atlas costs £150 ($237) and claims to be the world's "most authoritative
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Cue P.J. to tell us it's worse than that, he's dead, Jim.
    At least noone has died because of the map.

Meanwhile in East Africa thousands have died due to the famine and drought, and hundreds of thousands are on the move.

Unfortunately the IPCC got their predictions wrong
    'The increase in rainfall in East Africa, extending into the Horn of Africa, is also robust across the ensemble of models, with 18 of 21 models projecting an increase in the core of this region, east of the Great Lakes.'
    in their last assesment report.

I dearly hope that none of the relevant agencies took any notice of what the IPCC predicted, and took actions that may have made things worse

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      At least noone has died because of the map.

Meanwhile in East Africa thousands have died due to the famine and drought, and hundreds of thousands are on the move.

Unfortunately the IPCC got their predictions wrong
      'The increase in rainfall in East Africa, extending into the Horn of Africa, is also robust across the ensemble of models, with 18 of 21 models projecting an increase in the core of this region, east of the Great Lakes.'
      in their last assesment report.

I dearly hope that none of the relevant agencies took any notice of what the IPCC predicted, and took actions that may have made things worse

So the climate hasn't changed at all in Africa....surprise surprise.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

famine is caused by war and corruption not drought.

War and corruption, not droughts, are responsible for famines - The Globe and Mail
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          So the climate hasn't changed at all in Africa....surprise surprise.
          I do believe the ice in the local IPCC Official's Gin and Tonic has retreated somewhat from its 1998 levels though.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            I do believe the ice in the local IPCC Official's Gin and Tonic has retreated somewhat from its 1998 levels though.

I suppose the reason why the story is interesting, is that most of the sea level rise associated with melting ice, is related to either greenland or the antarctic.
            So If the atlas is accurate, its big stuff.
            The estimate is that greenlands ice = 7m of sea level rise.

So if greenland melts, we are 7m in the poo.

Mind you - the atlas claims that 15% has already melted, but the same atlas does not reflect the 1m rise in sea levels that we would have expected. Maybe they got it wrong

has anyone here noticed a 1 m rise in sea levels ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

has anyone here noticed a 1 m rise in sea levels ?
              Living on the Clyde coast which is of course tidal, no.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
              X