• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of buying this Jag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can you please explain how a car with a front spoiler 3 inches from the ground can drive through 30cm of snow? Does it A magically float on top even though it weighs two tonnes or B does it somehow push 5 tonnes of snow along with rear wheel drive and the engine at the front?
    Yes, spoiler functions as snowplough and chucks all snow to the sides. At least, that's the only function I can imagine for the ridiculous plastic spoilers I see on Opel Corsas.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      If you like the look of the car arrange a test-drive.

If you like it, can afford it and think you can live with it, buy it!

Who gives a sh!t what others think?
      wcs

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Sadly it seems the truth hurts. for that age you really only want an s-type, the x-type is a not quite as well built mondeo.

try 2004 JAGUAR S-Type 3.0 V6 SE
        The trouble is that S-types (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) are shaped like a dung beetle, or rather like practically every other car designed in the same kind of wind tunnel.

If I'm buying a Jag I at least want one that looks sleek and a bit traditional, even if it does have a Ford engine or something.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          The trouble is that S-types (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) are shaped like a dung beetle, or rather like practically every other car designed in the same kind of wind tunnel.

If I'm buying a Jag I at least want one that looks sleek and a bit traditional, even if it does have a Ford engine or something.
          If you can afford to run it and the above is your criteria then can I suggest going the whole hog and getting an XJ?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            If you can afford to run it and the above is your criteria then can I suggest going the whole hog and getting an XJ?
            X350 XJs 2003-2009 are no more expensive to run than the equivalent S-Type, all other things being equal - most components are the same, but the XJ is lighter - hence performance and economy is similar. All the same engines were offered except the 2.5 v6.

How anyone could say the S type doesn't look trad is a bit daft though - it is very like the original S-type - perhaps there was confusion with the XF - which looks much more modern and a bit of a cross between a Lexus and the most recent shape Mondeo.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Can you please explain how a car with a front spoiler 3 inches from the ground can drive through 30cm of snow? Does it A magically float on top even though it weighs two tonnes or B does it somehow push 5 tonnes of snow along with rear wheel drive and the engine at the front?

There we scores of BMW's and Mercs here stuck for weeks. Even the snow ploughs were getting stuck and having to have tractors pull them out. Some of the tractors were having tractors pull them out.
              Given how well such cars fare in far more severe weather I can only suggest it must be something peculiar about Britain. Like the people, perhaps.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Given how well such cars fare in far more severe weather I can only suggest it must be something peculiar about Britain. Like the people, perhaps.

Or maybe as already pointed out, it's that they are offered with all-wheel drive in other Countries, other Countries spend much more on snow clearing and winter tyres because their climates are habitually colder rather than occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I would argue that people in Britain, historically at least, have consistently proved to be less peculiar, in all senses, than the Germans.

PS Why pay for the brand? Just get a fully-loaded Mobdeo instead.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Or maybe as already pointed out, it's that they are offered with all-wheel drive in other Countries, other Countries spend much more on snow clearing and winter tyres because their climates are habitually colder rather than occasionally.
                    Countries don't spend money, people do.

He also mentioned that the snow ploughs were getting stuck. Kind of hard to blame that on a lack of snow ploughs, don't you think?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I drive an 06 plate X Type, mine's a diesel and does over 50MPG. manual gearbox can be a little stiff sometimes, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X