• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MOT retest question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

If the vehicle is brought back to the same Testing Station by the end of the next working day for one or more of the following items only, a partial re-examination is again required and this re-examination is also free:
    Is the garage open on Sunday? I can see their reply already.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Is the garage open on Sunday? I can see their reply already.
      Eyes, boy! Use them.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
        Indeed!

Im a bit baffled by the OP. I ring around to get the best price every year. I can accept most people wont do this, but from experience of owning older cars, I always ask them "will you charge me a retest fee?".

I got my last car, MOT'd for £35 instead of £45 just by ringing a couple of places and haggling. I could get one for £28 or £30 but all three of those places stated they charge a retest fee.

It isnt uncommon, for testers to be more "strict" if they charge a retest fee, to find the smallest amount of play or worn bush.
        No..this is not MOT center's discretion...Its mandatory to provide free retest if brought back to same test center with in end of next working day after fixing issue for certain issues as listed in this link. That’s what VOSA told me as well.

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Eyes, boy! Use them.
          well VOSA did foresee that loophole..!! As per rules Saturday & Sunday will not be considered as working days for MOT...! Its very clearly written in the certificates.

Comment

well VOSA did foresee that loophole..!! As per rules Saturday & Sunday will not be considered as working days for MOT...! Its very clearly written in the certificates.

Comment

No..this is not MOT center's discretion...Its mandatory to provide free retest if brought back to same test center with in end of next working day after fixing issue for certain issues as listed in this link. That’s what VOSA told me as well.

01-09-06 MOT launch new re-test procedures
              I wonder how well that works in practise?

Option 1: Yes sir, we are booked solid for the next 2 weeks but will happily drop what we are doing and take your car back whenever you wish to drop by and do a second MOT for free.
              Option 2: Never heard of you mate. Up to our discretion. Too busy, etc.
              Option 3: We've found something on the retest. Big bill I'm afraid and now your options are rather more limited, check out the VOSA rules. Can you leave it with us for 2 weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Did you ask someone for a recommendation?

There are local ones and local ones you want to avoid.
                I have to say these guys were resonable with test, there wasn't any surprises. Failure & advisory were what I expected.

So either they are not aware of this rule or they normally give "center's discretion" excuse close the cases...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I wonder how well that works in practise?

Option 1: Yes sir, we are booked solid for the next 2 weeks but will happily drop what we are doing and take your car back whenever you wish to drop by and do a second MOT for free.
                  Option 2: Never heard of you mate. Up to our discretion. Too busy, etc.
                  Option 3: We've found something on the retest. Big bill I'm afraid and now your options are rather more limited, check out the VOSA rules. Can you leave it with us for 2 weeks?
                  Yes..they could say they are fully booked next day & avoid re-test. In this case they were sure they are going to get fee so they were ready to do re-test even with out booking.

Comment

I saw this link in Kwik-fit site, which clearly says in my case re-test is free as per VOSA rules.

Free Re-Test

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                      All MOT test stations are required by law to display a 'VT9A Fees and Appeals' poster. On the top right of the poster, it has the information you quoted above. Point it out to them?

If you still have no joy, try calling the VOSA helpline 0300 123 9000
                      Finally MOT retest issue sorted. Very reluctantly MOT centre refunded retest cost. They tried all tricks to avoid refund. I noticed information displayed in their notice board (poster Mr Robin mentioned above) & showed them & same print out was with me as well. Finally they played a 'drama' - 'senior most' guy came out and gave a 'lecture' to others saying - "this is the case my law need to give free retest" & apologised for the 'mistake'.

Thanks to all here..much appreciated..

Comment

Working...
                      X