• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London's answer to Silicon Valley

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I thought the government bit was just the recycling of the Olympics park buildings.

Besides, considering that a substantial portion of salary would be eaten up the high cost of living in London I would only imagine that new graduates who live in that part of London would be interested. Older guys would on the whole, IMHO, not be interested.

Plus, I've been to Stratford at night and its not a place I'd want to go again.
    The government involvement seems to involve quite a lot of logistical support and possibly investment, or assistance finding it.

There are a lot of recent graduates and mid-late twenties folk working around there, as well as in the City next door, but then graduates need jobs, so that isn't a bad thing. They tend to be more willing to live in "gritty" urban areas as well, a lot of them are hardy Northern types so living in rented digs in Hackney doesn't come as too much of a shock to the system, and salaries seem to be competitive with BigCo graduate programs. There is also a lot of opportunity for designers and suchlike to freelance. If you are flat sharing with a couple of mates or a working partner then your going to be quite well off compared to a lot of people, so as an alternative to starting out in life as a corporate drone it's a pretty attractive proposition.

The older people I know who are working over there tend to be actual entrepreneurs rather than workers. There's no shortage of people around who have made a bit of money during the last 10 years and can afford to invest a couple of years of their life to start a business without worrying about how they will pay the bills.

Of course old street isn't in Stratford. The Olympic park is in a totally different tuliphole area with nothing going on and very little going for it. The government are being very optimistic thinking people will move there in my opinion, and it's misleading of them to try and associate it with the rejuvenation that has occurred around the Shoreditch / Brick Lane area. Still, if they are willing to encourage a bit of get up and go and not turn peoples lives into red tape hell then perhaps it will work out.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      I thought 'swearing' even with happy smileys and miss-spelled words was unacceptable behaviour ?

Feck isn't swearing, otherwise it wouldn't be used excessively on certain TV shows.

What other words can we use that aren't swearing but we know the real meaning?

Frack/Frak
      Fook
      Fsck
      @$#%! (a real tongue twister)
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        I am becoming fond of "Cungina"
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Feck isn't swearing, otherwise it wouldn't be used excessively on certain TV shows.

Frack/Frak
          Fook
          Fsck
          @$#%! (a real tongue twister)
          Also as PAH points out, it's the spirit in which it's used that's as important.

Had he been upset by it I might not have apologised (in public at least), but he'd be on my 'Not my sense of humour' list.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X