• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being nicked - your rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You did see that film of a kid on a bike getting a kicking from a policeman during the looting?
    Would not have happened if police were armed

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

And never accept a caution if you've done nothing; you're admitting you've done something wrong if you do.
      Goes to show how easy it is for innocent people to slip up. I expect you'd have to be a unlucky to get a cop who would try to frame the innocent though. Unless you annoyed him.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Nope, best not say even that because if you would be proven guilty they can also do you for attempting to pervert the course of justice claiming you are innoncent and that's up to life in prison...
        Oh great, you get done twice and were innocent of both.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Getting another POV is also useful.

Your rights on arrest - legal help and useful information

And never accept a caution if you've done nothing; you're admitting you've done something wrong if you do.
          So things will become a little more complicated for those who are not entitled to legal aid but are not rich enough to hire a solicitor if this bill passes:

We strongly recommend that you:
          1. make "no comment" to all questions
          2. don't write a statement
          3. don't sign a statement written by the police
          4. don't sign any police book

...until you have seen a solicitor
          The poor and rich can carry on as before, but what about the new category. Do they have to sign whatever the police put in front of them

Come to think of it, the bill says people will be means tested. That's going to take a while The copper at the police station who holds the pen for you to sign the police book is going to need a lot of patience. Presumably most people currently just sign whatever is handed to them and don't ask for a solicitor.

Comment

5. Don't touch murder weapon with hands without wearing gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              5. Don't touch murder weapon with hands without wearing gloves.
              6. Don't throw away weapon near scene of crime like in films
              7. Do sprinkle weapon with contents of enemies used vacuum cleaner bag

Comment

I have already decided in the highly likely even of being arrested I will answer no comment to everything whether I did it or not. Whilst a lot of cops must be decent and honest they (I know from personal experience - not arrested) can trust their copper's "nose" and experience a little too much at times - i.e. if they think, however misguidedly that you did something, they will do their best to get you to say so, or to make it look as if you are a wrong 'un or have something to hide, whatever the facts are.

Comment

Working...
                X