• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being nicked - your rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Fair enough if you get a refund when found innocent / not charged etc. I'd be very cross if I was arrested for something I hadn't done then had to fork out for a lawyer.
    It is already the case that if you are charged with an offence, your Legal Aid will be assessed. If you are self employed you are unlikely to get Legal Aid and will have to pay for your defence upfront. If you are found not guilty, it does not mean that you will be awarded costs.

There are a number of people who are innocent and plead guilty in order to stop the bother of a trial. I have also known people to spend years trying to clear themselves through false testimony from the police. Even when it is proved beyond doubt that the police have lied they still get off scot free.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      It is already the case that if you are charged with an offence, your Legal Aid will be assessed. If you are self employed you are unlikely to get Legal Aid and will have to pay for your defence upfront. If you are found not guilty, it does not mean that you will be awarded costs.

There are a number of people who are innocent and plead guilty in order to stop the bother of a trial. I have also known people to spend years trying to clear themselves through false testimony from the police. Even when it is proved beyond doubt that the police have lied they still get off scot free.
      What if you don't want to pay for a defence and they still charge you and you don't want to admit to being guilty either. Do you have to act as the defence in the court too? Or are you just found guilty on the spot?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Presumably best to say nothing except "I'm innocent" every now and then, then?
        Yes - in between Pistol Whippings Im sure that is allowed.

PS as long as nobody else is watching

Comment

What if you don't want to pay for a defence and they still charge you and you don't want to admit to being guilty either. Do you have to act as the defence in the court too? Or are you just found guilty on the spot?
          I know its tough justice but think of the money it will save the Government .

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            Yes - in between Pistol Whippings Im sure that is allowed.

PS as long as nobody else is watching
            You've been watching too much American TV. In the UK they employ very poor sarcasm.

Comment

Getting another POV is also useful.

Your rights on arrest - legal help and useful information

And never accept a caution if you've done nothing; you're admitting you've done something wrong if you do.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You've been watching too much American TV. In the UK they employ very poor sarcasm.
                Depends on how you are arrested.

You did see that film of a kid on a bike getting a kicking from a policeman during the looting?

Well some people have been put into the back of police vans on their own and have mysteriously got injuries.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Getting another POV is also useful.

Your rights on arrest - legal help and useful information

And never accept a caution if you've done nothing; you're admitting you've done something wrong if you do.
                  WCS

The CPS don't tend to like prosecuting people unless there are a couple of witnesses, you are caught in the act by the police (it does occasionally happen), you admit it or they get orders from above.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Presumably best to say nothing except "I'm innocent" every now and then, then?
                    Nope, best not say even that because if you would be proven guilty they can also do you for attempting to pervert the course of justice claiming you are innoncent and that's up to life in prison...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Depends on how you are arrested.

You did see that film of a kid on a bike getting a kicking from a policeman during the looting?

Well some people have been put into the back of police vans on their own and have mysteriously got injuries.
                      I believe we were referring to being questioned at the cop shop where pistol whipping is rare. Getting arrested and arriving intact at the cop shop unbruised is a another matter, though still mostly devoid of pistol whippings.

Comment

Working...
                      X