• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    +1. (or more accurately, +however many people have read this thread).

I assume AtW meant that he has too many cables to fit a 48 port switch, so needs another one.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      How will a new switch use less cables?
      One 10 GBE port with one cable means up to 10 x 1 GBE cables can be removed from equation.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        One 10 GBE port with one cable means up to 10 x 1 GBE cables can be removed from equation.
        Aah, you are using teamed gigabit connections at the moment. Don't forget to factor in the cost of 10G adapters for each server as well. That will double the cost.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Don't forget to factor in the cost of 10G adapters for each server as well. That will double the cost.
          10 GBE cards with 2 ports now cost about as much as good quad 1 GBE card, so this is ok.

Full 10 GBE switches on the other hand

Comment

On the subject of the amazon cloud & performace I moved to one of my database instances to serve a web server and fook me they must have pidgeons moving the data. Not an option and production level.

Comment

Amazon storage has got high latency and can return "busy" error codes apparently which you are meant to retry

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Amazon storage has got high latency and can return "busy" error codes apparently which you are meant to retry
                I can except a bit of latency but this is beyond a joke.

Feck knows what they are doing on their servers and will not be buying from them again.

I take on board some of the pages are a bit crap on the performance stakes but I should not be getting that moving to an off machine mySQL server.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I can except a bit of latency but this is beyond a joke.

Feck knows what they are doing on their servers and will not be buying from them again.

I take on board some of the pages are a bit crap on the performance stakes but I should not be getting that moving to an off machine mySQL server.
                  What instance type were you using for the mySQL database?

Its worrying because the plan b backup plan is AWS and I couldn't cope with that type of delay.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    What instance type were you using for the mySQL database?

Its worrying because the plan b backup plan is AWS and I couldn't cope with that type of delay.
                    Had a medium sharing the tomcat webserver and mySQL for plan B, moved to 2 small ubuntu webservers for plan B & C and picked up a small shared mySQL instance for both, I know I can get the code to run quicker but it was hitting around the .1 second for page loads which I was OK with, now you can see it is up and down like a hookers knickers.

Comment

You need a private cloud, which 'they' will hire you once you realise their main cloud is no better than normal shared hosting. They keep it slow for that reason, to upsell you.
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X